HID - Drivers Side Headlight - Problem.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
As in the title I've got a issue with one headlight only. The drivers side headlight both on normal and on high beam is failing to come on.

Turning on the lights results with the passenger side headlight activating as normal but the drivers side one flickers 5 or 6 times accompanied by what sounds like a relay clicking, it then fails to illuminate. The bulb appears to be OK because as i said it does light up (flickers) but fails to stay alight.

Do HID's have a "starter" like fluro lights. I believe they a ballast.

As I know nothing about HID lights I'm turning to you the experts to help me trouble shoot this one.

I'll be pulling the light out first thing in the morning to check the wires for anything obvious.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Peter, your HID lighting system's Ballast is failing.. just get a replacement set from ebay..

shouldn't cost any more than $150..

maybe I have a spare ballast sitting around somewhere.. i'll have a lookie..

and don't worry about taking out the bulb since you said it goes on but then off..

G

Unregistered
I have heard from the guys here that the ballast is what breakes first on the xenons.
Buy a new set any brand is fine.
They sell them here for $65US for a set.
I will be in china next week and will try and get some wolesale prices on some stuff so will let you know but surely you should call the wreckers and they should have some ballast's for sale for $20-30 bucks each.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Thanks guys. I think I'll take out the light anyway which will give me some space to try and locate the ballast, which I need to find so I can determine the voltage/wattage and the temperature of the lights so I can buy the right replacement.

In the mean time if you do have a spare Chris give me a call and if its the right one we'll work something out.

cheers

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Well just pulled the light out and this is what I found.

HIDGlobe002.jpg

HIDGlobe003.jpg

Plus the glass was broken at the base.
I'm off to see if I can get a replacement.

G

Unregistered
They sell the bulbs here for $10US so check the net for a good price.
Brand is not important for the globe just get the same power 6000 8000 or 10000 calvin.
Might as well buy a pair as u never know when u need another.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Well I had no luck at the local parts place so I ordered via the web. So I guess it'll be a couple of weeks before I see the replacement. Good thing we're in the middle of summer here and we're getting over 12 hours of sunlight a day so I haven't had to use my lights for a while. I ordered a pair of 6000k. I know the connectors are different so I'll have to redo them when they turn up and I'll most likely replace both so I'm using the same Temp globes.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
that's unsual.. usually the first to give out is the ballast.. i suggest you try and replace your ballast too cause it might be giving out too much current

G

Unregistered
it's a light bulb.. they die at some stage.
i wouldn't replace the ballast as i can guarantee its fine.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Or you could just go back to standard globes instead of annoying the buggery out of everyone else on the road and reducing your own visibility with the HID's ;) :p

G

Unregistered
uhh... i guess you have never driven with HID's before you posted your opinion?

and they don't annoy other people if they are leveled correctly.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Got my new lamps yesterday and installed them. As usual nothing is ever simple. They don't stay in place. It looks like the metal clip that hold the lamp in place has been bent and I can't get the globes to stay in position. Also I now have 1 yellow light and 1 purple light, which is extremely bright.

Do I have to replace both lamps at once and should I get the 4300c lamps instead of the 6000?

Help. As of right now I wouldn't dare drive the car at night with my lights on as I think it would be blindingly bright.

G

Unregistered
you should change both HID globes at the same time, that way you have the same colour temp.

i'd go with 4300k too, as 6000k has a slight blue tinge to it.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
IMO, 4300k to 6000k are the best ones to use.. unless you just want it for show.. then go for 8000k +

Top Bottom