QLD "How'sit?" From Rocky

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 5 spd Manual
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Project - Datsun 1600 Turbo rotary conv.
Issue being I don't have evoscan or any other diagnostic tools to actually see them so... I have to hope that these guys can actually pull something up on the car when this happens, at least then I might have some joy in fixing the issue/s. It is a crap way of getting it done but my funds are pretty limited at this stage so.. no choice.

As for evoscan - the all awesome diagnostic and tuning thingy -- it is on my "when I get some cash" list. (already got the tablet to use it on).

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
So, update is = He did what you just mentioned... sort of.He earthed it to the car's chassis and not the earth on the plug. I don't know if that'll change the results but... there were the results.

Error codes = 12,13 and 25. As for what they mean... i'll do some research and find out what is going on.

I drove it to the mechanics with the MAF plugged in and, as it is quite obviously a PIG to drive with it in, i wanted to see what it is like with it unplugged and riving... SO MUCH BETTER!! Also... pops some SERIOUS flames too i think :) Lots of pops and crackles as i am backing off the revs :D Not sure the exhaust is my friend after that but, at least i can get it to the tire place to get the wheels aligned sooner rather than later. Sure... it'll make a TONNE more noise but, it'll drive straight afterwards :D

Onwards to research some fault codes... I suppose the fact that the MAF was unplugged while the lights was a blinking will be a contributing factor...

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
20150723_081554.jpg
20150723_081610.jpg
20150723_081623.jpg
20150723_081632.jpg
20150723_081641.jpg
20150723_171653.jpg
20150723_171702.jpg
20150723_171809.jpg
20150723_171825.jpg
20150723_172643.jpg

So... This is where she is sitting at the moment. Barely idling BUT... looking sexy doing it :)

Wheels -- SSR GTV02s -- 18 x 8.5 @ +30
Tyres -- Falken FK452s -- 225/40ZR18

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Nice!!!!

Also code :
12 : Air Flow Sensor System
13 : Inlet temperature Sensor System
25 : Atmospheric Pressure Sensor System <T / C>

Like I said before I reckon your airflow meter is stuffed, I'm sure there must be a member near you that has a Galant/legnum and you can test there airflow meter on your car ?

Only reason why I keep saying airflow meter is because I've helped about 3 friends that had similar problem as your car and was the airflow sensor even thou they weren't a Galant or legnum but its the same problem on different cars.

Hope it is as its a easy fix :)

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
by air flow you mean - MAF Sensor?? If yes, we are certainly on the same page. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyone in town with one of these and as my car is not "drivable", it is a little tricky for me to meet someone to do the test.

Wish I were closer to the chaps in Brissy... that'd make this a lot simpler I think.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yes mass air flow meter = MAF (people call it airflow sensor, airflow meter, anyways)
I reckon, The sensor inside is playing up, there is a way you can clean it I remember seeing some YouTube videos of ways you can clean them, maybe give that a go ? It might be just dirty ? Worth buying a can of that mass airflow cleaner (I think super cheap or repco sell them) and doing it yourself it might fix the problem but if you had a spare working maf would be best :) I know you don't but im just trying to help :)

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Yeah, i am leaning more towards replacement as my first foray into making this car work better was to clean the MAF sensor. Simple enough job but didn't fix the issue. I like the idea of either EVO MAF "upgrade" as they can more easily be sourced in the country than the VR4s. Already asked a question or two regarding the cross-compatibility.

Thanks Fred

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
Have replied to your PM today with MAF repair instructions, sorry it took me a few days to get on and type it up. I hope it helps you, if it does, feel free to post the text in a forum thread to help others.

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Thanks Heaps Tony_T! I will have a read through and muck around with the spare i now have. It will be a great exercise and hopefully, it'll really help a lot of people in the future :)

Thanks heaps for taking the time to get all of that written down.

Top Bottom