Huge stutter under load...Help!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
down where the big ass pulley is.. kind of a big job.. you'll have to remove your alternator and ps/ac belts.. as well as some covers..

btw.. if you unmount your crank angle sensor off its original position your car wont start.. crank & cam angle sensor determines when to make your ignition coil currents.. which leads to spark..

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
down where the big ass pulley is.. kind of a big job.. you'll have to remove your alternator and ps/ac belts.. as well as some covers..

btw.. if you unmount your crank angle sensor off its original position your car wont start.. crank & cam angle sensor determines when to make your ignition coil currents.. which leads to spark..

Cheers Christian. Hmm, well that sucks. Got my 100K service coming up soonish, maybe I'll just continue to put up with it till I get that done and have it looked at then.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Mick, how about trying to insulate the wires from the high tension leads first? at the part where they cross.. just an idea anyway.. goodluck..

btw, have you tried doing some logs (evoscan) and stuff?

reeve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
Warrior:1998 Legnum VR4 Daily:2006 Kawasaki ZX12R
by unmount i dont meant disconnect, move the whole mount with the two plugs as far from the leads as possible, thus if problem fixed u know your leads are arcing, and yes u would think with new leads it would be fine - cant explain that one

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
logged with evoscan while its happening?

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Christian/Steve, nah I haven't logged anything, i don't have access to evoscan. If anyone in Sydney does have evoscan and wants to do me a solid, I'd be very appreciative....

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Mick if you have access to a laptop, a datalogging cable is very cheap, and as for software, there are free options out there. Have a look at the link in my signature ;)

Otherwise, hopefully a NSW member can help you out.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
If you can come to me at work one day I can log it for you, PM me....

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
Woah- I can't believe you guys missed this bit!

but since I fitted my new intercooler kit about a month back it will do it everytime I accelerate.

There's your problem right there mate. Sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
That was my first thought, but it was doing it well before the I/C was fitted. I have triple checked all piping and the core itself and there doesn't appear to be an actual leak. Keeping my eye on the boost gauge too it holds full boost, then bam!

To me it sounds/feels like an ignition problem. Chris @ Meek seems to think so too, he suggested I start with the coilpacks. I'll try and get some video of it, it may help.

Steve: I'll PM you, thanks mate

Lee: I should've got off my ass and done this months ago :) I'll sort something out for the future

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
just curious.. do you have any gauges fitted? apart from the boost gauge?

pull out your plugs from the front bank (nearest to the radiator) and show us what it looks like.. also what gap do you have it on?

does the car sound like a subaru as well whenever it happens?

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
check the seals on the turbo outlets. They can leak from there too. Sounds like an intake leak test could go down quite nicely, just to be sure.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Nah Christian, no other gauges fitted. I pulled the plugs when I did the lifters bout a thousand or so K's ago and there was no hints there as to what was happening ie no scorch marks or excessive blackening of the tips. They are gapped to 1.1 from memory, but I can't be 100% certain. The actual plug 'tubes' are beautiful...clean as. I did the donut gaskets when I did the lifters as well.
It doesn't sound like a Subaru as such, it just sounds like umm...the closest thing I can liken it to is something wickedly bouncing off the rev limiter, except more violent and with longer gaps between the bounce if that makes sense. Like I said, I'll try and get some video so you can see it in action.

Andre: I have visually inspected the seals, nothing that stands out (except the amount of oil in the outlet of my rear turbo :( ) A leak test would be a good thing to do regardless, I'll add that to my list of things to do

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
I previously had BKR7EIX gapped to 0.8, after approx 20K, I switched to BKR6s gapped to 1.1. The change in plugs/gaps has had zero effect on this problem. Once its resolved, I'll re-gap them, but I'm not in a hurry right now

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
what boost u running? could it be boost cut? if its holding boost and then dies????

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Standard boost, I don't have a controller at all. It'll touch 10, but usually settles around 8.

I took a couple of bodgy videos on my phone last night, but you get the idea. All the shaking is due to the violence of the shudder, not me having some kind of fit.

M0R81U5

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
that is the exact thing my car does sometimes, I have been assuming it is mis firing

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yeah I'll be curious to see this with evo scan....

Top Bottom