Huge stutter under load...Help!

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Mick, I have a PFL manual ECU you can borrow if you like? Can post to you tomorrow too if it helps. Let me know.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
(y) That would be brilliant Trev...if you don't mind. It's exactly what I need.

I'll compensate you for anything you are out of pocket of course and throw a little something extra your way for your troubles.

I'll PM you my details

tony_gsr

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
tony
Drive
2000 Legnum
So has the ecu swapped worked. Mine is doing the same thing but at lower revs. My car is in the mechanics now he has ruled out cools and plugs. Next step was to pull my haltech miniseptor out to see if that's the issue.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Your car at Gavin Woods right now tony? My car is there getting a gearbox swap at the moment, think it was your car I seen there. Anyway it will be interesting to see if Gavin figures it out, I sent him an email yesterday saying my car has this issue that your having but not to worry about it if he encountered it.

tony_gsr

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
tony
Drive
2000 Legnum
Yeah it's at gavins. Hopefully he can sort it, I get the stutter at about 3.5k so it's really frustrating. Like I said before his next thought is the haltech so I would be interested to see how Mick went with his ecu swap before Gavin pulls my haltech out.

sanchez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
rodrigo
Drive
legnum
Rather than pulling the haltech completely out, have you tried resetting all values to zero first?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Tony none of us have haltechs and we still have the problem, mine hits about 3500rpm also. I think its a sensor or something stupid like that, who knows...

tony_gsr

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
tony
Drive
2000 Legnum
Nah I haven't reset it yet, I might talk to Gavin about that and see what he thinks.

sanchez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
rodrigo
Drive
legnum
I haven't used the scan software as of yet so this one is probably best explained by the gurus. Is it possible to log all sensors to make a comparison between a fully functioning vehicle? It may be possible to compare logs between the affected vehicles to check for any discrepancies between sensor values?

tony_gsr

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
tony
Drive
2000 Legnum
Hey I don't know if your still having this problem but I'm pretty sure I got mine fixed today so I thought I'd let you know. Mine ended getting worse and then I started blowing heaps if smoke all of a sudden and smelt like fuel. I put it on a tow truck straight to Gavin woods. He found that I was dumping a heap of fuel in my front middle cylinder, which was the cylinder that was fouling while I had the stutter early on too. He then found out on my loom I had a fray in the wire that tells the injector when to pump fuel. This fray was making it short and letting the injector dump fuel.
If you haven't already you should have a look to see if one of your plugs is fouling and then check the wiring for frays. Hopefully this helps you if your still having issues.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Sorry Tony, I kinda gave up posting in this thread til I actually got it sorted out. But, yeah, as Trev mentioned, the ECU didn't sort out the issue. Next thing to try is the fuel pump. I've ordered a new Walbro to try and rule that out.

I've changed plugs twice since this problem has surfaced and none of them have appeared in worse shape than the others. I still have all the plugs I've removed, so I'll check them again. Mine seems different to yours in that mine leans right the hell out, it's like it stops delivering fuel altogether. I'm afraid that it's going to be a dodgy wire somewhere, it's going to be a bugger trying to find it though...

I'm happy that you got yours sorted though :)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I'm glad yours is sorted Tony, bet your happy to be able to drive your car properly again. Next time my car is at gavins I'll have him check mine for the same thing.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Oh I am itching to say it.....

Mick needs to change his signature now as he now has a fully functioning 7000RPM redline, he can explain why his car hasn't worked properly for how long has it been Mick? :)

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Hehe, I knew you wouldn't be able to keep quiet :)

Well yeah, it's been about 3 years since the first time this happened and around 7 months of pretty intensive theorising, testing, troubleshooting, logging and flashing by Steve, but tonight we got to the bottom of this bastard of a problem. Best (read: worst) part about it, it seems to have been inadvertently caused by me :blush:

When I first serviced the car 3 months after buying it, I threw in a Ralliart dry foam filter and it seems I faced it the wrong way (with the mesh facing forward) and what has happened is that the foam layers have started to delaminate and pull away from the rubbery frame and blocking the MAF when it's supposed to be flowing the most air. In my defense, I put the filter in the same way the factory paper one was in there.

We pulled the filter out and did a quick run and instantly the problem gone.

So yeah, I feel like a bit of a dumbass, but am stoked that the problem is fixed. If anyone else has made the same mistake as me, flip that sucker around the right way now!

Steve, I gotta say a massive thanks to you, you've gone out of your way countless times helping me fix this, you're a legend :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Hehehe.... Thanks, just glad it's fixed, typical case of looking for the hard solutions before checking the easy one....

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
*Slaps forehead* lol least it's sorted now. Haha a backwards filter...who'd a thunk it

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
actually i know a guy who had the exact same thing.. but the way he explained things to me was alot more different..

Top Bottom