importing a modded car

jarthel

Idling at the Lights
First Name
jarthel
Drive
car
ps. I've searched the forums but came up empty.

with modded vehicles, do the aftermarket parts needs to be replaced by OEM parts?

e.g. aftermarket suspension, exhaust needs to go. lowered suspension needs to be brought up? how about aftermarket rims? what if they are the same size as the OEM ones?

thank you very much :)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Sometimes the car's parts are removed and replaced with OEM items. I had my Pioneer Carrozerria LCD screen, turbo timer and A'pexi RSM gauge removed for compliance.

When I got it back I had to put it all together again. Some of us had our custom front bars shipped separately as well as rims and the like.

I suppose you've read some of the stuff here written by Trevor (SiliconAngel) but it may not cover that exact topic. Some details of what happened to those bits are burrowed deep inside the Members' Rides section, but I've put in a request to update the guide so it's all in one place.

Hope this helps :)

jarthel

Idling at the Lights
First Name
jarthel
Drive
car
Sometimes the car's parts are removed and replaced with OEM items. I had my Pioneer Carrozerria LCD screen, turbo timer and A'pexi RSM gauge removed for compliance.

When I got it back I had to put it all together again. Some of us had our custom front bars shipped separately as well as rims and the like.

Hope this helps :)

I can understand the stereo, timer and etc to be remove. but the rims were shipped separately? what rims were on the car when it was shipped?

thanks again :)

G

Unregistered
Relatively basic mods are no problem, for example wheels, exhaust, air filters, suspension and so on. Any good compliance workshop will have standard parts which they can temporarily put on for you so the car is standard when complied, and they can then put the aftermarket parts back on. Turbo timers, boost gauges etc are unplugged/removed and can be installed again later. Some workshops will charge you labour for the work they have to do, some won't.

Serious mods (big turbos, roll cages, rebuilt engines) are usually too difficult to comply and are not recommended. Some parts are iffy and it will depend on the workshop, such as aftermarket brakes, seats, etc.

jarthel

Idling at the Lights
First Name
jarthel
Drive
car
Relatively basic mods are no problem, for example wheels, exhaust, air filters, suspension and so on. Any good compliance workshop will have standard parts which they can temporarily put on for you so the car is standard when complied, and they can then put the aftermarket parts back on. Turbo timers, boost gauges etc are unplugged/removed and can be installed again later. Some workshops will charge you labour for the work they have to do, some won't.

Serious mods (big turbos, roll cages, rebuilt engines) are usually too difficult to comply and are not recommended. Some parts are iffy and it will depend on the workshop, such as aftermarket brakes, seats, etc.

thanks for the reply. I am looking at your site right now and some cars have aftermarket parts.

Another question: I suppose the RAWS you used are light mod-friendly? looking either at a 350gt or galant vr-4

thank you :)

G

Unregistered
Most RAWS are smart enough to know that mods are pretty much par for the course.... I would say at least 50% of vehicles imported (probably more) have at least an aftermarket exhaust or wheels, so they know it's just part of life. Places that don't have standard parts or want to charge labour to change them around we would usually avoid unless there's really no choice.... for some models in WA for example where a workshop knows they're a monopoly and they don't give a damn they'll often charge extra for all that, but we still have ways of avoiding them.

Top Bottom