What're importing times like these days?

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
If I were to enlist the services of an importing agent to buy a Galant from Japan, roughly how long would it take til it hit the road here?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Shouldn't take any more than 3 months or 12 weeks if that sounds shorter. It all depends on lots of variables which I wont go into. Have a search and read of Trev's "how to" on importing and check out IC's web site for further details.
The 12 weeks I've quoted includes the time it takes to get it compiled for Oz conditions.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Mine took about 3 months from the time I first contacted Iron Chef until the time I was behind the wheel of the car.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
Just got mine from Ben J-spec last week. Total waiting time 3 mths, its all worth it tho..

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Cheers guys. Problem is if I was to do it, selling a Magna isn't the easiest of things... I pretty much can't buy a Galant then try to sell the Magna. And I live 40kms away from my work, and there's 1 bus there & back daily...

I'd be more than happy to buy one locally but as far as I'm concerned a lot of the prices - especially for stockers - are hugely inflated over what it would cost to import one from Japland.

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
'98 VFR 800 / '92 Ford Laser Turbo / '10 Kia Cerato S
Mine has been 5 weeks from when I found a car (which was only ~ 1 week from when I told Kristian to start looking for me) and by the looks arrived in Brisbane on Friday. Now I just have to wait until it's shipped down to Adelaide and complied!

G

Unregistered
You should buy my Berlina and ZX6R then so I can buy a VR4...

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
my one imported last month was 2.5 months

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Mine was convoluted. It took me three and a half months (landed in 17th July 2007, rego'd October 31st) but it spent two of those months in the shop getting bodywork fixed. I bought Loki like that and it came up a treat when it was finished.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
:-( mine took just on 6 months but that was purchased Jul 2007 rego'd Jan 2008

i have heard its allot faster now thou.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Yeah someone was saying a little while ago that the compliance shops are getting the work done faster, and the whole process is speedier now as everyone has had a chance to get to know these cars. :)

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Yeah. Not manageable for me at all when I really think about it, and I know that's simply how long it takes. Cheers.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yeah someone was saying a little while ago that the compliance shops are getting the work done faster, and the whole process is speedier now as everyone has had a chance to get to know these cars. :)

Yea whether they're doing it PROPERLY has me concerned :confused:
My Super from memory was about 2 months, but I was lucky with timing. Bought it & it practically went straight onto a boat.

Mind you, I've still got things to fix on it.

Top Bottom