Installing a sunroof.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I think a few people are interested in this.

I can't imagine it would me more difficult than marking out the correct sized hole and getting out an angle grinder. Then some wiring and your set.

I googled and found a finished sale on Trademe for one.

I wonder how much they are worth second hand.

It's just a missing part of my dream car that's all.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
it shouldn't be that "HARD" but it would be something I want done by a professional.. at least if it leaks you can blame them :) or be covered by their workmanship..

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
That is a good point.

I suffer from thinking I can do anything.

I'm a few $ off buying one anyhow as it is pretty low on my required mods list.

I wonder if anyone has done it before.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i've seen a workshop hacking off a roof and it looked scary.. but apparently the sunroof came out good.. it was on a commodore ute... sunroof was slide out.. not slide in.. if you were wondering..

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
would it be more difficult on our cars being slide into the roof?

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
i have added sunroof's before to a car that didnt have them and it was nothing but problems and leaks, hence why i made sure i got a sunroof in my car when i decided that i wanted one. maybe things are getting better these days but 5 to 8 years ago they couldnt get it right.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
If you're trying to add a sunroof to a type of car that never had one, then yes, you'd have lots of trouble. But if you can get your hands on all of the parts from a legnum/galant that did have one, then you should be able to do a solid conversion. But like I said, that involves more than just the sun roof itself. You need the guttering etc as well.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
And the roof lining in a VR4 with a moonroof (glass ceiling = moonroof) is lower than one without, suggesting either different brackets or maybe a different lining altogether. As suggested, sun/moon roofs are VERY difficult to get right - you have less than ½ a mm play to get the action correct or you'll get jamming or enough resistance to burn the motor out over time and keeping them sealed from leaking is a PITA. If you really enjoy a challenging project and don't care how much it costs or how long it takes, knock yourself out. But even given my interest in all things mechanical and electric a sunroof is a job I would go out of my way to avoid...

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
So hugh did you get the sunroof installed???? I been lookin into this myself but everyone sayiing "buy one with it in it already" not realy prepared to sell my car and hunt down another half decent one just for the sake of something that could be custom done.......

tommy86

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Really fast Magna wagon thingy
Hey mate i've had cars with both factory and aftermarket Sunroofs. unless you get a high quality one and pay top dollar for a skilled installer, after market will be nothing but an expensive pain in the ass. Also NSW will require an engineers cert if you ever need a blue slip, so might want to check on that in WA.

-T8-

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tate
Drive
WRX CSE5, 7g galant
The only thing is if you get it wrong then you have a car with a hole in the roof... how you gonna fix that :S

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
cut whole roof, off install half cage and only drive in the sun

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive