Installing K&N pod problem

G

Unregistered
Hey guys
Was trying to install my K&N pod today, just as an experiment. All the bolts came off the OEM panel filter fine. But, there was a problem, it seems as if the stock oem panel filter box is directly connected to the battery holder and i have no idea as to how to unconnect it!
Any suggestion guys?
Cheers

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
you'll have to make up a bracket to hold down the MAF/Pod Filter.. otherwise it'll be a 'defect' item..

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
There is a nut on the inside of the air box.... Remove the pannel filter and u will see the nut undo it and you can remove the box

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Or you could keep the panel filter, get better fuel economy, power, air fuel ratios, performance and excellent throttle response.

G

Unregistered
i know brad, just experimenting. might chuck it on permanently when i make/source a box for it

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
its not the airbox thats the problem for economy, its the round pod.

your oem box was the perfect solution

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
like michael said, theres a tricky little bolt which you can only get to from inside the box.

air fuel ratio's, blah blah blah. you need ze flutterzz!

G

Unregistered
Aren't galants and legnums fitted with Karman Vortex MAF sensors? My understanding is they pick up the velocity of air passing through by causing a disruption and measuring the frequency of disruption then the ecu knows based on the diameter of the MAF how much air is flowing per frequency.

This would mean that the only way intake air temp going into a MAF could effect the engine has nothing to do with heat only density of oxygen in the air- I would have guess that would be negligible to a certain point until air temps inside vs outside became drastically different.

Id have to agree that a panel and pod probably have the same amount of flow... although you do get rad induction noise :D:D:D:D

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Its not the really the temps they are talking about, its the disruption to the smooth flow of air flowing into the MAF. A pod filter will increase the turbulence of the air entering the MAF and cause it to read incorrectly. Then there is the problem of the increased air temps you mentioned, sucking in the hot engine bay air isn't a great CAI idea.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I personally think its not that the MAF is reading incorrectly when a pod is in front of it, but that the vortex of air forces the majority of its mass through the center, where the sensor is actually located. This means that there is less mass flowing through the unmetered section around the outside, therefore the ECU thinks there's more air flowing than there really is, and over fuels.

The fact that you can lean out the fueling by adjusting the plug at the bottom of the sensor by winding it out backs this up. When the plug is wound out, more air is able to flow through the unmetered section around the outside, meaning the ecu sees less air flow than there really is, and under fuels.

So, what I'm trying to say is that its not that the sensor is misreading, its that ecu's default overcompensation to account for unmetered air is inaccurate, because the air flow is different to what it expects.

G

Unregistered
im waiting on a k&n panel filter to arrive, i think they are better IMO

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
i have an oval shape K&N pod and my economy seems fine....400-450km per full tank???? not even flashed and have the boost up?!?! But as the guys have said their is a hidden nut to undo i encountered the same problem

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
hay yay yay dios mio......here we go again..................

G

Unregistered
Yeah i can understand why a pod filter would interrupt the MAF sensor. Im still going to say id prefer a panel filter given the opportunity :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
pod filter without heat shield = warm air.
warm air = less density.
less density = less air mass
less air mass = less oxygen
less oxygen = less fuel

And the factory snorkel seems fine for up to 250kW at least, I got no more power when I added an extra intake to the std box. the panel filter has already been established to flow fine.

The maf will compensate for the heated air (that's why it measures barometric pressure and air temp as well as velocity) so with the exception of turbulence issues the A/F Ratio's should stay similar due to the warm air. But depending on how you mount the pod the change of airstream probably will affect the maf as a few above alluded too.

Really easy access to the nut if you take the snorkel off though and reach through the front.

Couldn't resist having a go at pods :)

G

Unregistered
Hmmm yeah the design of the intake tract would definitely give the MAF a better/worse sample- an extreme example would be installing one of those dodgy "vortex" things people were trying to sell a few years ago which was supposed to improve combustion. If you put one of those on it would surely give you much worse fuelling. Perhaps a solution for pod filter owners is to put a piece of straight pipe between the pod and the MAF so the air has "straighten out" and be less turbulent. Or could be talking out of my arse- you decide :)

G

Unregistered
I really don't understand why you would change from something that works efficiently to something that has been dyno proven to not work efficiently.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Richard, because some people think they can improve on things that are already perfect.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I was going to say... /runs for cover before Brad see's this thread/... but you beat me to it mate :p

Top Bottom