INTERCOOLER & REAR MUFFLER QUESTION

Blue legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joe
Drive
2013 Suzuki Swift Sport , 65 Mustang 351w
Hi Guys

I've got a 97 PFL Legnum VR4 otherwise stock which is my daily drive so interested in improving it for some performance & better fuel economy!!

Have a couple questions you may be able to shed some light on. They maybe inter related??

1. How restrictive is the standard exhaust & more importantly the rear muffler??
2. Does fitting an intercooler say 600x260x76 improve fuel economy over stock cooler & how by much?? Would intercooler only improve if exhaust not done/cat back exhaust done or straight through rear muffler only?? :001_unsure:

Any help would be appreciated!!

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
With an exhaust you may see slightly better economy, but an intercooler will do stuff all for economy.

Best bet would be do both and then get it tuned. A tune will have the biggest effect.

With an exhaust, it's just under $1000 for hiflow cat and 3" piping and hiflow muffler. Out of the cat or muffler I am not sure which would be the most restrictive.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
1. They're restrictive, by how much exactly doesn't matter.
2. Negligible gain if any.

If you want to see serious gains in power and economy, you'll need to get your breathing mods done (cooler & exh) then get a tune. Mods without tune won't make much difference.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
I think if you want better fuel economy a tune is a must..nothing will give you better fuel economy than a tune IMO...

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
I think if you want better fuel economy a tune is a must..nothing will give you better fuel economy than a tune IMO...

+1 to that, use the money for a flash tune, or a bit more for Haltech (like i have in the past)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
In my experiences, mods + tune will only improve fuel economy by 1-2L/100kms, its not like waving a magic wand over your car that instantly reduces fuel usage from 15 down to 10L/100kms.
If your car is using excessive fuel you need look at other things like o2 sensors, boost leaks, fuel filters etc.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Or just sell it and buy something more economic :p I bought my VR4 knowing it wouldn't have the best fuel economy and that I'd have to put 98 in it.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Or just sell it and buy something more economic :p I bought my VR4 knowing it wouldn't have the best fuel economy and that I'd have to put 98 in it.

+1 to that..I didnt even consider fuel consumption when I had mine..I drove it to enjoy it..not to save a litre or two...

Blue legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joe
Drive
2013 Suzuki Swift Sport , 65 Mustang 351w
Haha lol.. I knew the go buy a fiat 500 gag would come out!!!
Nah.. Great advice so far guys but I love the car & give it the boot etc..
But I mearly want to refine the car & make it even better than what it is!!!
Quality mods that will make a difference...

G

Unregistered
With just a tune I now got an extra 100km per tank out of my skyline every time, and an extra 30kw and and 70nm at the wheels. I'm sure it's not impossible for something similar on the Leggy, I sure hope so anyway lol.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
That's intersting, my 1999 Magna gets better fuel economy than my 1998 Legnum.

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Joe. I am getting about 14L/100km but closer to And sometimes less than 13L/100km if I drive normally. I have just put on a whole new exhaust system from the dump pipes back and I am getting it tuned this weekend by TMEsteve (new fuel filter, fuel pump and new spark plugs too). I will be running the stock intercooler or a while still. I will let you know how the economy is after a good few weeks of driving it. I'll try and get an economy reading before the tune to see if all this has made a difference but I will only have 1-2 days of driving before the tune.

purple_guana

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Wang
Drive
galant VR4
how much does an average tune up in nz cost and what does it consists of? never done it before.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen Bradc around for a while now.

Top Bottom