Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
G'day everyone,
Thought I'd post on here in case there are a few people still here lol.

My original AYC unit started making loud noises.. Had it flushed and bled. Do the service every 10-15k km..Pump failure... fair enough. I never checked the oil and it was low enough it didn't show on the dipstick. No warning lights though. Just noise.
No leaks either.

Bought a second hand AYC pump (Worked fine in the car it came from and had it installed, Bled and flushed etc, by a very trusted workshop) and worked perfect for a few days. No leaks, fluid is spotlessly clean and to the correct level.

Went to drive home from work yesterday and from the start I have the red AYC light of doom. 3 green bars come up then extinguish, yet the red AYC light stayed on. Again no noise.

Here's the interesting part. Scanning for flashy lights it's code 82. Pump failure again. Disconnected the battery to erase the only code on the car too. I checked all the plugs, wiring etc. All good and clean.

I had the idea since the AYC red warning light comes on... goes away then comes back a few seconds later and stays on... I'll move the car as soon as it starts up.
If I do that I get the usual 3 green bars on start up.. light goes out and if I move off just a few meters the red AYC warning light stays off... drove 50km home and it's still off. Couldn't test the bars as it was traffic all the way.

What could it be?? Pressure switch?

*** EDIT*** Just took it out for a drive after doing the startup by rolling forward (no Warning light) went around a roundabout by giving the car a flick left then right and the green bars light up as normal.
Definitely an interesting issue.

Last edited:

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
*** Update***
It was the pressure switch. Was told the AYC pumps are identical between the two which they are except the switch.

There are two different stock ones.
PFL had the Black top switch is N/C...
FL had the Green top switch is N/O.

Mine being a FL, had a green switch... the replacement AYC pump had a black switch. They weren't changed over during the AYC pump replacement.
Got under the car today, after leaving the car overnight, and swapped switches using a little PTFE tape... turned the key light goes out. Started the car... same deal.
After driving for about 10 minutes green bars light up which means AYC is working, Best bit no Red AYC warning light.
Glad I kept the old pump.
Problem seems solved... Yay!!

Top Bottom