Irritating noise... Possibly PS Pump pulley bearing?

PSI-S12

Crunching Gears
First Name
Will
Drive
Legnum/180SX/Silvia
Hey all,

There's an irritating squealing noise coming from the PS pump region in my engine bay. I'm pretty sure its the bearing in the PS Pump pulley. Has anyone else had this issue? Am I correct assuming it's a common issue?

If so, where do I find the parts / part numbers?

Cheers!
Will.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
Do you have an aftermarket intercooler on your car? If yes what has been done with the stock PS cooler?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
My guess is belt or bearing, depends on the tone. I've heard several Legnums with pump whine, including mine. Annoys the shit out of me. Not specifically a common issue for our model but really just cars in general.

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
Does it sound like a metallic squeak, belt squeak or whine noise? My annoying noise turned out to be the PS tensioner pulley

PSI-S12

Crunching Gears
First Name
Will
Drive
Legnum/180SX/Silvia
Sounds like a rubbing squeak. Does it kinda bad on idle, gets worse up to about 1500rpm then goes away.

I've still got the factory cooler on my car so I'd presume it's still got the factory PS cooler loop.

I'm pretty sure it's the bearing! Will pull PS pump off and test it out :)

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I'd bet on the power steering belt tensioner pulley bearing, they pretty regularly get water ingress which ruins them. I had to replace mine because it was making the noises you describe. The other things with bearings on pulleys is the lower they are the more likely to fail imo as they get more water/road shit on them.

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
Sounds like a rubbing squeak. Does it kinda bad on idle, gets worse up to about 1500rpm then goes away.

I've still got the factory cooler on my car so I'd presume it's still got the factory PS cooler loop.

I'm pretty sure it's the bearing! Will pull PS pump off and test it out :)

Yup that's the one, Power Steering Tensioner Pulley. It's the lowest one, just under and to the left of the PS Pump

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m22b0s140...ioner_Wheel_-_Legnum_EC5W_and_Galant_VR4_EC5A

PSI-S12

Crunching Gears
First Name
Will
Drive
Legnum/180SX/Silvia
You guys are onto it! Thanks heaps!

They aren't cheap are they lol. I might just deal with the noise for a bit till after the tune day lol.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
They ship to Oz, £50 for most things. Least that's how much it was when I priced up my rocker cover seals.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I actually got mine from my local mitsi dealer for $160 (although i was mates with the guy so he may have given me discount).
Alternatively, the magna one fits you'll just need to tension the belt more as its smaller.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Incredibly pricy. £50=~$80AUD for things that don't even weigh 1kg that costs about $20 in post from Japan.

Top Bottom