Is my front engine mount stuffed? Pics uploaded!

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
Hey guys,

I have uploaded some pics of my front engine mount. To me, it looks like it is sagging a bit, but I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

I have been getting some clunky noises when going over bumpy surfaces as well as doing hard corners fast. My suspension bushings didn't look too bad, but I'll get a shop to double check over them. I'm wondering if this mount could be related?

Thanks guys!

Wes

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2003.jpg
    IMG_2003.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 100

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Related to Wes' question, what are the symptoms of a shagged engine mount? Any unusual NVH from behind the wheel?

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
In my turbo Lancer wagon, my front mount was totally stuffed and there was very obvious clunkiness and jerkiness when accelerating hard in 1st etc.

At the moment, my car seems quite smooth...but it's not even close to half as bad as my Lancer's front engine mount...

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I was actually told that my front one was ok and it looked the same as yours. I doubted it but heard from 2 people that it is supposed to sit like that. There is no attachment fixing the inner bit to the outer.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
OK... So now I'm tossing up between Kitty's "sagged and shagged" and Scottie's "it's meant to be that way".

Scottie - you have any problems regarding funny sounds etc?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
I'm not sure about that Scottie, thats the engine roll stopper mount, this is what it looks like when its new, it should only have 2 small holes on the sides, and my doesn't sit on the base of mount like that
MR1983812.gif

I'm blonde so probably wrong... maybe one our guru's can correctly call what's what.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
but is that the photo of a stock Legnum one? Or a compatible one, like the Eclipse/Galant, Ralliart rear Evo 7 one etc...?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That does look like it has dropped some distance. How close is the transmission to the cross member?

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Pretty close I'd say!

Pretty close! Here is a pic of my transmission/centre member for your evaluation!

Attachments

• IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 81

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
That looks exactly the same as mine! I noticed mine when we had our home mechanics day and i spent a bit of time under the car.
I definitely get the usual symptoms - slight vibrations under heavy load, "wobbling" under braking. Wes, you mentioned clunking noises over bumps and hard corners fast, that has all the makings of rooted control arms, just like mine:sad:

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Hey Trevor,

So you reckon that means my/our front engine mount is normal or stuffed?

Yeah, it sounded like it was coming from driver side. I had a look and tried to do the "pry test", but don't know if I did it right or not. I'll have to get a shop to check over it. With my Lancer wagon, my bushings were so stuffed that I could shake the control arm!

How about are your control arms? Is it your top or bottom ones that are giving you trouble? It looks like my bottom ones (well, one of them on each side) have been replaced at some point.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Hey Trevor,

So you reckon that means my/our front engine mount is normal or stuffed?

Stuffed for sure. IMO, there should be no where near that much daylight coming through.

How about are your control arms? Is it your top or bottom ones that are giving you trouble? It looks like my bottom ones (well, one of them on each side) have been replaced at some point.

I am unsure which it is but i am going to do all four soon (when i get the cash)

First i need to do my mounts.

Top Bottom