IT Wiz Help (Again)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Greetings computer wizards.

Our servers that we use for our POS systems have been upgraded & now come out of the box with Server 2008 & Exchange 2007 SP1. We don't want Exchange on it. We try & uninstall it, but it throws an error about public mailboxes.
I go to the shell & run the commands that http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201664%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx recommends, but each time I get a 'Modification of the root folder '\' is not allowed & won't allow it. I tried ADSIedit but went nowhere fast...

I hate this shit. Google is not returning any results that are meaningful.
Anyone out there provide any advice?
I am recommending we switch just to using bloody workstations. There's no need for us to use servers...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
sounds like Small Business Server 2008 - Exchange 2007 comes as part of it, we use the same in the office i manage..

Exchange 2007 is integrated with SBS2008, if you dont want to use it, just dont? Uninstalling it is a bad idea, best thing to do would simply be not using it or purchasing Windows Server 2008 instead.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Brad, please clarify which OS you are using....

From there, I think I may have a PS script that might help you

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Brad, please clarify which OS you are using....

From there, I think I may have a PS script that might help you

Dawso, it's reporting as simply - Windows Server Standard FE SP2 - but the licence key sticker on the box says Windows SBS Std 2008.
64-bit.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Dawso, it's reporting as simply - Windows Server Standard FE SP2 - but the licence key sticker on the box says Windows SBS Std 2008.
64-bit.

Don't remove Exchange from an SBS box. Period.

And you can trust me, i'm SBS 08 certified lol

I would go into it further, but I don't have time to write a chapter book lol. Get all your new servers with Windows 2008 standard FFS :p

Hope that helps mate :)

EDIT - Just for clarification, SBS installs come up as FE

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If you don't want to use exchange then just buy server standard as some of the others said.

We do get SBS bundles very very cheaply with IBM over here, so maybe that is why you are getting SBS? Just leave it on there.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Hey guys I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I'll ask away in here;

Anyone of you IT legends know of a disk imaging program that support multiple partitions? Let me explain first;

I'm reloading my home PC. It has 2 physical hard drives. The first hard drive is partitioned 3 times in order of WIN98-> WINXP-> LINUX.
After I'm done loading everything up, I'd like to take an image of that whole 1st physical hard drive with all those 3 partitions on it. I'm getting tired of having to reload everything all over again (esp. Win98). This image I would like archived to a portable hard drive as well.
I've been reading up on things like Clonezilla etc but thought I'd put the feel out on the forum if there's anything you guys recommend.

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Acronis trueimage.
I'm not up with the latest versions but used the older ones a LOT.
It'll let you make a boot CD as well, so you take the image, make the boot CD then if the HDD fails you boot from the CD then restore the image from your usb backup.
It'll allow diferent partition restores as well

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
+1 for acronis true image. great stuff and with a very user friendly interface.
in your case, you want to make a backup of your partitions so its just a simple case of selecting a box next to each partition you want to copy. and similarly when your restore, you select what you want restored.
it also allows you to copy and restore the mbr which is a very handy feature
and also while your at it you should get acronis disk director suite, which is great for creating, resizing and any anything you can think of to do with partitions and hdds

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
+3 for Acronis mate. Its the easiest and just seems to WORK.

I use Ghost occasionally for speed but for reliability you can't go past Acronis.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Thanks for the tips.
I use G-Parted for modifying partitions. Never had a problem with it so far.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Sorry to HJ but it seems you are sorted Brad?

Just don't want to start a new thread.

I am having a hell of a time with my Vista Home at the moment. We are running AVG free and Windows defender and i am getting smashed at the moment by Trojans & Runtime Packed FSG "Multiple Threat Detection"

There are a couple of file locations that keep recurring. They're all C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\avp.exe
\login.exe
\csrss.exe
\system.exe

And the trojan thing keeps coming up in a ......\windows\winhelp.exe (or something similar) and no matter what i do it keeps popping up - even after i have moved to vault or "healed"

When i run that particular file location, in normal or safe mode, it doesn't exist!

Anywhere i should start?

Ta

Edit, just realised i need to pay some more money lol. I don't like the look of the "user" tag.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Vista is a big huge fail.
That is in your temp files which you can clear out using Sytem Tools > Disk Cleanup. If a file is being used by a process it won't delete that file, so do a ctrl-alt-del and see if that Avp.exe is a running process on the Processes tab. Keep your AVG up-to-date and they shouldn't be getting in there anyway! I would try both of those things first. Another way to clear temp's is to run search and type in "t*mp" and it should find all your temp stuff.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Thanks Tom, I have done as you suggested and upgraded to the latest v of AVG. Will see how we go.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Cool 'nanas, hopefully it's as simple as ditching the temp files and then updating AVG so they don't get back in. I'd advise to use one of the open-source browsers if you aren't already (firefox, opera, etc.) because they are safer than IE in most situations.

skyrex

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Blake
Drive
Ralliart Colt
avp.exe sounds like Kaspersky not AVG Free...
I'd be checking it hasnt been loaded by accident (Kaspersky) in Programs and Features in control panel... and get rid of it.

Other than that it's possibly one of these nuisance fake AV's Apps that have been making the rounds lately.
My old man had AntiVirusGT on Sat, it also pulled in a RootKit and totalled his MBR which I had to rebuild with Hiren's Boot CD. Man if I had a dollar every time that Hiren's disc has saved my bacon, I'd be a bajillionaiire!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Heh, Hiren's is great, I use it mainly for removing passwords though on accounts that people have forgotten!

You could uninstall avg and try a trial of nod32 to see if it can remove whatever is on there at the moment.

Top Bottom