Judder Problem

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Hey, hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction here. The problem is that as i pull away from lights etc from stop the car judders and is very awkward to control. Im thinking the two possible culprits are the clutch being fried or maybe the engine mounts being damaged. The car also seems to judder a little as you let off the accelerator and decelerate to stop but i think this might just be normal.
Any ideas or tests to determine which it is would be a huge help because i dont want to fix one to find it was the other that was broken.

Thought i'd update this now i know what was causing the problem, it was in fact a heavy duty cushioned button clutch i did not know was on the car.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Can you rock the engine back and forth? Does the car feel like it is hesitating and losing power?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
You can only move it by about 2 or 3mm at the most if you rock it. Doesnt seem to hesitate or lose power either.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Does the clutch grab as quickly as it should or is it starting to slip and on it's way out?

It simply isn't a super aggressive clutch that bites quickly?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
It does seem to grab as it should on a fast lauch with some very slught judder at the end of the clutches travel and on a simple release the clutch and then go kinda launch with no gas its fine. its just sometimes as your in traffic doing the whole stop/start driving with a normal release it tends to judder and on some occasions really badly. But i dont appear to be having any problems with slip, which was why i suspected the mounts. Thanks again for your help mate.

Davezj

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum VR-4
the way you are talking it sound like you have a manual but if it is an auto then this is common.

G

Unregistered
sounds to me like a possible boost leak. This is similar to what mine was doing a while ago.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
A boost leak ay, i hadnt even thought of that. how would i identify the leak if it is this? Or do i need to take it to a shop

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
After fixing a leaking BOV and then broken engine mounts i have come to the conclusion i didnt want to come to. the problem is the clutch after all. After fixing these things the shudder is still ever present be it not as bad as before. I think the other things were amplifying the problem.

Anyway, does anyone know of anywhere i can get a heavy duty cushioned button for a good price. I have done some net searching and found $900 about the cheapest but if anyone knows of a better price can you let me know.
On a side note which would be better for a daily driver, cushioned button or button. Cushioned yeah??

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Anyway, does anyone know of anywhere i can get a heavy duty cushioned button for a good price. I have done some net searching and found $900 about the cheapest but if anyone knows of a better price can you let me know.
On a side note which would be better for a daily driver, cushioned button or button. Cushioned yeah??

I wouldn't recommend a HDCB, I'm on my second one and they have both been very shuddery.

Go for a standard HD from kudosmotorsports.com, tell Andrew you're from OzVR4 and got recommended by me and you should get a better price than is on their website.

cheers

Lee

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i have a violent jerkiness if i take my foot off the accelerator at medium to high revs if i dont feather the clutch a bit but im assuming thats normal lol. mainly noticable in first and second.. ive always assumed its normal as the lancer did it too from memory.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
i have a violent jerkiness if i take my foot off the accelerator at medium to high revs if i dont feather the clutch a bit but im assuming thats normal lol. mainly noticable in first and second.. ive always assumed its normal as the lancer did it too from memory.

Yeah I get that.... If I just ease it off though its fine. I'm happy to live with that :)

Did anyone think it could be the diff or driveshaft? They'll both cause the same issues too :(

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
lol dont scare people saying diff... that had my car off the road 2 and a half months :D :D

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
The main problem with mine is pulling away from stopped. can get very shuddery and almost impossible to do a good start.

Does that mean that the HDB isnt shuddery? cos i dont want to fix the problem with sumin else that has the same problem. If HDB is the go ill get in touch with kudosmotorsports

Or did you mean the HD clutch

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Mills_88.. have you checked your tyres if you have hot spots or flat spots? im guessing you've tried making the wheels spin in the past..

if the shudder/judder is caused by the diff or prop shaft.. you should also hear clunking sound, like what Josh (Frozen) experienced.. which meant that it's on the way out..

I'd bet on clutch and/or engine mounts causing some of it..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I have an Exedy HD clutch and there is nothing but smooth power delivery, no juddering at all. So I recommend either one of these or an Evo kit. Don't go for multi-plate button clutches unless you've got big power and you drag / track your car regularly.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
The main problem with mine is pulling away from stopped. can get very shuddery and almost impossible to do a good start.

Does that mean that the HDB isnt shuddery? cos i dont want to fix the problem with sumin else that has the same problem. If HDB is the go ill get in touch with kudosmotorsports

Or did you mean the HD clutch

I meant the HD, I'm not sure if the HDB would be better or worse than my cushioned one.

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
From what i've been reading, HDB has no room for slip. Its either on or off. HDCB allows for slip but there seems to be mixed responses with the worthiness of getting one.

No i'm trying to decide whether to get the HD or HDCB.

Soldat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Blake
Drive
R33 GTST (S2)
I get a shuddering under acceleration but it disappears once I get past 60 - 70km/hr. Then it comes back at 100 - 120km/hr so I'm certain this is wheel balancing/alignment or dodgy rubber.

Rule them out for a fiddy, imo

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
I have a exedy HDB Clutch and get shudder sometimes if i dont let the clutch out quick enough. like riding it a bit on a hill or crazy stop start driving in heavy traffic. Guess its just designed to bite and off you go. Dont have any shudder in any other gears except first.

I have a noisy bearing when im stationary and press the clutch in. Take the clucth out in neutral and noise goes away. Guess its the thrust bearing or something. This came with the kit obviously. HDCB are no good for hard launches it wont last long apparently, that why i got the HDB and im happy with it, pedal feels like standard, but grabs pretty well. Only had two or three real hard launches where its slipped but i got the peddles all wrong wen it happened.

So id recommend HDB but you'll still get shudder from my experience.

Top Bottom