knocking sound like a heatshield from front passenger side... help please :)

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Hey everyone.

I have noticed a knocking sound from the front left passenger side.

Sound seems to be coming from the wheel well; or suspension tower.

I have checked all the bushers and arms, everything looks fine. Also checked all heat shields under the car, and no issues there. Also checked the CV joints and they seem fine.

The sound is mainly when I turn left (aka. taking weight off the front left strut).

Brakes checked also; pads aren't loose and tried to move the rotor/brake assembly; without success or sounds evident.

Can anyone advise what suspension is like when it packs up? would it possibly be the culprit? I'm thinking the shock absorber has died.

someone please help... I'm going to be booking the car to be looked at asap; but as I drive 100+ k/s every day; I want to make sure its ok before doing daily driving.

Also note: The car seems to handle ok even with the sound; however as its getting worse by the day I have noticed I can feel it a little in the steering tugging from that left side over bumps.

Basically when the car is either turning or going over bumpy ground.

ANY help appreciated guys... sorry I'm a little worried about it!

cheers

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Is it a continues knock? e.g knock..knock..knock or is it a one off ? I get a single clunk when turning either way, when going up driveways. It has been diagnosed as my tie rods.

Just noticed you mentioned
"I have noticed I can feel it a little in the steering tugging from that left side over bumps"

This does sound like play in your tie rods (from what i know) Check my thread on the issue i found. Maybe try and take your rack boots off and inspect the ball joint (tie rod)

G

Unregistered
It's not your sway bar links or stones in your struts?

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Cheers guys for the response.

The sound isn't continuous; however its not once then not again sort of thing either.

When it happens you hear "rattle rattle rattle" then next corner or bump "rattle rattle rattle". Even on the way home; I was driving on pretty much flat road and there was a slight bump and it was "rattle rattle" ...

I took the wheel off and inspected everything I could think of... nothing had any play or any form of sound. :(

I can't see how stones would have gotten into my struts as they still have the covers over the piston. (they aren't cracked).

It's hard to describe, but it happens when weight shifts off that side. If I corner right hard its fine, or even corner slowly left its fine. only when I shift weight off that side when corner (aka fast) it seems to make it .

cheers for the help ...hmm :(

G

Unregistered
stones collect between the spring and the base of the strut. Its very common here in nz for sounds to be caused from that area as the stones get thrown up into there and as the spring moves it rubs.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
stones collect between the spring and the base of the strut. Its very common here in nz for sounds to be caused from that area as the stones get thrown up into there and as the spring moves it rubs.

Cheers mate. Easy to fix? any pointers?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Did you slide your rack boots off/back yet, and checked the ball joint?

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Trev,

Tried to take a look at it. But being a noob. Without pictures / guide I was pretty useless with it all.

appreciate your help tho... I fear I may just have to wait till the car gets serviced next week.

What are symptoms of a dead suspension strut? I was kind of hoping it was this so I could justify getting coily's approved by the financial controller ;)

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Upper and or lower control arms, I had the same issue replaced them and all fine.

G

Unregistered
Put a light up near the spring and look down to the bottom of the spring where it rests. I have the wheel off mine at the moment while i do my auto mod. I might try get over to it tonight and get a photo for you. just look and see if the stones are collected and use a screwdriver to scrap them out

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Cheers mate, Any idea on rough cost of these parts?

I got these off Ebay from the US Seller was wsdsuspension they cost $US60 plus postage which from memory was about $US40 ish. You can get kits which has everything I think they were around the $US200 mark. Some people have questions over the quality of some of the ball joints but they seemed ok (did break).

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I was kind of hoping it was this so I could justify getting coily's approved by the financial controller ;)

Allow me to help:

100% guarantee that your strut is broken. Best replace it. Would be a shame to just replace it with another stock one as the same thing could happen again. Coilovers are much higher quality than the standard items, so it would be financially prudent to conduct some preventative maintenance and fit some new coilover suspension.

Will that work? I used terms like "standard items", "financially prudent" and "preventative maintenance" so I would sound like a clever person. ;)

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Allow me to help:

100% guarantee that your strut is broken. Best replace it. Would be a shame to just replace it with another stock one as the same thing could happen again. Coilovers are much higher quality than the standard items, so it would be financially prudent to conduct some preventative maintenance and fit some new coilover suspension.

Will that work? I used terms like "standard items", "financially prudent" and "preventative maintenance" so I would sound like a clever person. ;)

LOL!! thanks man! If only I could know that replacing them will actually fix the issue... that would just top it off :)

I would be looking @ BC's even though I see they have gone up $200 since xmas :'(

But I might get this checked out first... I actually talked to the mrs about coily's and she said if the suspension (aka strut) is rooted she would be happy for me to pay the little extra and get after market option. woot!

Now I just need to diagnose/confirm the actual issue and we are clear sailing!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Being serious now (and having actually thought about the problem) have you checked that your strut tops are securely bolted in? I have had a similar noise in my Sil and that's what caused it.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Yep; checked that; also tightned the top of the strut. (no idea what it does) give it quater turn... made no diff. Also checked body work panels and strut brace to just make sure it wasn't something silly and loose.

also checked for rocks.... none found... I was checking out the control arms and CV joint; no play in any of them; rock solid. The CV had the usual play back and forth... but only VERY minimal and both sides where spot on, not loose at all.

When I jump on that side of the car; the strut does make a loud hissing noise but the side only bounces 2 times before settling. So from what an old mate tells me; thats good enough for most suspension tests @ dealerships.

hmmm .... didn't hear the sound today on the way to or from work... seems to only happen after long drive or on bumpy roads / spirited driving.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
I was checking out the control arms and CV joint; no play in any of them; rock solid.

AFAIK, you can think that the control arms are fine but they can be shot. Have you run you VIN to check if the recall was done back in the mother land?

Another thing, this is most definitely a prob in my car. I have saggy engine mounts (Front and passenger side) and the gearbox is actually hitting the cross member underneath it when i hit bugger bumps or high speed dips.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Have you run you VIN to check if the recall was done back in the mother land?

Negative; this would be the first I have heard of it. If I get my VIN can someone run it?

Top Bottom