Koni shocks / dampers

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Just got pricing from NZ Bill for Koni shocks for my Leggy - 2002 VR4.
He gave no other brands but I believe I wouldn't go stray with Koni. Never had them before in any of my cars. Only had Monroe GT Gas and KYBs etc.
What? You wanna know the cost? 153 NZD each. Plus postage.

Opinions?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Extend your budget and get coilovers....????

That's what Jesus would do

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Extend your budget and get coilovers....????

That's what Jesus would do

He might. But I have no beard. Besides, my plastic doesn't strecth. Think it's Titanium!

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
That sounds like a good price to me really. But don't forget there's no springs there, i'd highly recommend a new set of springs your suspension will be like brand new.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
He might. But I have no beard. Besides, my plastic doesn't strecth. Think it's Titanium!

Coilovers aren't as much as you think. I just sold my Bilsteins for less than what you are going to pay for JUST shocks!

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Coilovers aren't as much as you think. I just sold my Bilsteins for less than what you are going to pay for JUST shocks!

Am aware there is no springs with Koni of course.
What CoilOvers are recommended, any Engineering required or bolt-on, legality, cost etc?

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
BC coilovers are cheap on ebay - $1250 ish.

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Zoom lowered springs from japan will set you back $300-400 delivered..so yeah the BC is looking the better option.

Good reviews on the BC coilovers too on ozvr4.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
wait for a set of bilstein coilovers to show up like I did, I got dawsos but they do show up on yahoo japan from time to time, still 600 for a set of good quality new dampers is doing well. Do you know or can you find out the damping rates?

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Don't forget to add shipping onto that price, it won't be cheap.

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Incl shipping the total would be just under 600 AUD.
I'll do some research on BC too.
Bilsteins are also excellent gear. What did you pay for 4 C/Os?
Bill did not quote the model of Koni he priced, but have asked for more. Guessing the cheapest model.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Koni adjustables.... will give us better traction for the wholeshot!!

Sorry, had to.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I think Pierre(pbaron) has koni's in his legnum with Ralliart springs.. Maybe flick him a pm?

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Geesshh ppl! Been a Member of Magna Club for 8-9 yrs and have received more constructive feedback on this post only than in all those years. Well, almost....
What's wrong with you guys!!! Hehehehe. Sarcasm is unknown to me. Honestly. Trsut me.

Will check pbaron too.

teppei

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Henry
Drive
Black Type-V MT Galant VR4 '99
loved my BC Racings, got my set for $1299 from JustJap.

hv a think about it

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I saw bilstein coilovers on yahoo for 300aud.... Was about the best I saw....

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Just reading about BCs.
Correct if I'm wrong - 10 kg Spring Rate is daaamn stiff. Website says they have various SR, but don't list them.
But I do like the Camber Plate option there. Got sick of playing with the Whiteline Camber Pins in my Magna - up and down, measure, and up again and...
What SR do ppl have here?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
To me 10 is way stiff, others disagree. Damping is almost always overlooked. I know 2 cars one with 10/7 springs the other much softer, im told they feel about the same to drive. I am looking at 7kg fronts and 5.5-6kg rears. Could probably go to 8's on the front but that is too stiff for me....

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I have very different thoughts on spring rates. As Steve above has touched on, people, and companies seem to quote the spring rate but never ever ever talk about damper rates or valving. Which, mind you, is where the wheels ability to stay in contact with the surface really comes from.
7 is a strong spring for a street car. To put that into perspective, i run 7's on the front of my track car - S13 with RB engine and 4's & 5's rears, depending on what i need.
I had 11's/10's in my 32 Skyline when i bought it- from Japan, stupid rate, kidney belt required, completely unusable on Aussie roads.

I'm not a suspension engineer, but i take advice from someone who is. He always says, use the softest spring you can get away with and match the damper to that.
There are many ways to skin the cat, i use soft rates and use ARB to control roll/traction depending on the track and condition. There are other ways to do it though. This setup however, allows me to also be quick in the wet too. How so, last time I was at time attack at QR, i was the fastest car on the track in the wet, that included EVO's WRX and GTR's. The closest any of them got to me was 3 seconds. Now i'm not blowing my own trumpet here, the intent is to show that correctly matched rates make a world of difference. They had, what i consider, hard dry setups, whereas mine, is my dry setup- but because of the way i go about it, it works well for wet conditions.
This is important for people like me who don't have the $$ to change rates and dampers for different conditions.

Now i know this is nothing about Koni shocks/dampers, but merely to provide some info for you to give some thought about what you're putting into car and what you want it to do.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Camber plate doesn't apply to our cars because it's not MacPherson.

Top Bottom