Koni shocks / dampers

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Camber plate doesn't apply to our cars because it's not MacPherson.

Hu? What is not MP? Legnum suspension is MP. The BC C/O kit bolts in directly and has the Camber plate as a "bonus".
Whaddaya mean?

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Hu? What is not MP? Legnum suspension is MP. The BC C/O kit bolts in directly and has the Camber plate as a "bonus".
Whaddaya mean?

Camber plates, as I understand it, are where you can adjust the camber in the top of the strut top tower.

This is not possible with our Multilink suspension setup. The BC coilovers do not include camber adjustment for Legnums.

Only McPherson strut setups can have this camber plate.

someone correct me if im wrong but im 99% sure i'm right.

the bc ebay etc state they include camber adjustment but only on models where it's possible. and on ours it's not.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Camber plates will not adjust camber on a Legnum. You need to adjust the upper control arm length via camber ball joints or eye bolts. There are threads on here about it.
A camber plate would change the angle of the strut, but not the camber of the wheel (this is controlled by the upper and lower control arms).

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Camber plates will not adjust camber on a Legnum. You need to adjust the upper control arm length via camber ball joints or eye bolts. There are threads on here about it.
A camber plate would change the angle of the strut, but not the camber of the wheel (this is controlled by the upper and lower control arms).

Makes one think what's the point advertising such.... as we can see in the link I provided. It is claimed to suit Galant VR 4 and Legnum.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
To me 10 is way stiff, others disagree. Damping is almost always overlooked. I know 2 cars one with 10/7 springs the other much softer, im told they feel about the same to drive. I am looking at 7kg fronts and 5.5-6kg rears. Could probably go to 8's on the front but that is too stiff for me....

those two cars wouldnt be a green galant and a purple galant?

+1 for dampening being just as, if not more important then spring rates.

if i had decent dampeners, then im sure my coilovers would feel much stiffer. 36 level adjustment is bs too

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Makes one think what's the point advertising such.... as we can see in the link I provided. It is claimed to suit Galant VR 4 and Legnum.

They generally use a generic picture for all models.......

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
those two cars wouldnt be a green galant and a purple galant?

+1 for dampening being just as, if not more important then spring rates.

if i had decent dampeners, then im sure my coilovers would feel much stiffer. 36 level adjustment is bs too

It seemed a relevant example :) simons silvia is even more telling....

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
They generally use a generic picture for all models.......
And that is very clever. Not. Oh well, what can we do about that.
In all, suspension is a package not just one individual part. Tyres contribute much to the handling. But not gonna repeat the same old same.
There was a comment that these things have been dealt with before. Sure they have. I just want to get the latest ideas, not only 2-3 yrs old. Hence my new post. How else do we progress!
Saw the pic on the post (link above) and they look very much like business. Because, I had to take the wheel off and have a proper look how the front is, patient as I am.
Will wait for BC reply regarding Spring Rate options.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Be careful with front/rear proportions too, stock rates are 3.8 and 2.8 or something (see here) so 10/6 would be stiffening the front proportionally more than the rear so adding understeer (I want the opposite) but then there are dampers and no one has results on what they all are so who knows.

I did measure stock damping rates, same thread and I'm measuring the bilstein coilover spring and damping rates now but I can't measure all coilovers.... They should be published!

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Be careful with front/rear proportions too, stock rates are 3.8 and 2.8 or something (see here) so 10/6 would be stiffening the front proportionally more than the rear so adding understeer (I want the opposite) but then there are dampers and no one has results on what they all are so who knows.

I did measure stock damping rates, same thread and I'm measuring the bilstein coilover spring and damping rates now but I can't measure all coilovers.... They should be published!

Yeah, same goes with any such, balance has to be maintained. Otherwise one goes is in to the forest, literally.
You mean - manufacturers should provide technical details of their products? Like correct picures etc. Naaaaah, we're in Australia mate. Near enuff will do!

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
Out of several inquiries, after few days, so far only RTA has replied to me stating that they have now forwarded my question to an approriate "department".
Nice.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
I can now say that the bilstein coilovers are damn stiff. 14kg front springs, 8kg rears, dampers still to be measured....

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I can now say that the bilstein coilovers are damn stiff. 14kg front springs, 8kg rears, dampers still to be measured....
14's...and you actually fitted them to your car? WTF?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
No I didnt fit them, ill be getting different springs and maybe revalving the dampers :)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I reckon you'd need to do something with the dampers, they'd overpower the softer spring otherwise.- that said, be interested in what Heasemans suggest to do??

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT

I have connections to ppl who sell kidneys....

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
We'll see what the dampers are first, I might throw them in to see how stiff 14 really is, be interesting to experience if nothing else (with massive understeer no doubt, Paul suggested to me the small amplitude bouncing in cars with these may actually be the tyre rather than the spring as the spring may not move much.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Tappara

Crunching Gears
First Name
H
Drive
2002 Legnum VR-4 TT
No hijack considerd, all good info!
Finally got some info for me:

Bilstein, at Sydenham
B6 Sport F: BE3-2582 R: BE5-2583
For Legnum EC5W
Has to be ordered, might take month or longer. Total cost ~1100-1200 $. Deposit first.

JustJap sells BC Racing Coil Overs, at Kirrawee
BR RS (B 01 RS) 10 kg
V1 VS (B 01 VS) 10 and 6
For Legnum EC5W
Spring Rates can be custom made. Currently 12/6, but suggested 8/5.
Same cost, full advance payment of ~1200 for non Camber adjust.
Made in Taiwan.
Certification required for RTA

RalliArt NZ
Koni, Yellow Sport, non adjustable.
~600 AUD

Might consider the Bilsteins, but will have to wait til Feb perhaps.

Top Bottom