KSROM Info

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
I looked at a Galant today that supposedly had a K's ROM in it. Apparently it boosts to 1.2 bar.

I didn't believe it as it was using the OEM boost solenoid but after doing some research (thanks wayback machine), I can see the Japanese were indeed tuning these things as early as 2004 on the factory ECU.

Just thought it was interesting and worth sharing. If you google KSROM without any Japanese terms there is stuff all results. This can act as a bit of a reference!

Snippets below from the 2004 web page. https://web.archive.org/web/20040707004215/http://www.ricv.zaq.ne.jp/ksrom/

1710411007166.png

Translated:

1710411098946.png

Additionally, below are some minkara reviews, you will need to translate but feedback is generally very positive and it seems even back in the 2000s they had after sales support and retuning options.

I can't confirm if below is a KSROM but I believe it is, apparently stock turbos with fairly standard mods, OG Kansai Service dyno.

1710411574987.png

Last edited:

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Maybe the WGDC Map controlling OEM boost solenoid, so it can be upto 1.1-1.2 bar?

WGDC Map1.jpg

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Maybe the WGDC Map controlling OEM boost solenoid, so it can be upto 1.1-1.2 bar?

I am unsure, I have never actually seen ECUFlash and EvoScan in person! I have only read some of the Merlin document.

I just found it impressive how early they (Japan) were working with the factory computer (and boost solenoid!)

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
I am unsure, I have never actually seen ECUFlash and EvoScan in person! I have only read some of the Merlin document.

I just found it impressive how early they (Japan) were working with the factory computer (and boost solenoid!)
Those Japanese company, eg, Mines, KSRom, HKS, etc, were working on factory computer long long time ago, and many of them using daughter-board with EPROM. Eg, in 90's the JDM Honda Civic SiR, aka EF9, using daughter-board in the ECU to tune the mapping. I guess the factory probably "agree" to give some mapping info as confidential info to the Japanese tuning company to have the ECU tuned, so that the car model could have more performance parts and more people would buy that car.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Those Japanese company, eg, Mines, KSRom, HKS, etc, were working on factory computer long long time ago, and many of them using daughter-board with EPROM. Eg, in 90's the JDM Honda Civic SiR, aka EF9, using daughter-board in the ECU to tune the mapping. I guess the factory probably "agree" to give some mapping info as confidential info to the Japanese tuning company to have the ECU tuned, so that the car model could have more performance parts and more people would buy that car.
I like that theory and agree with it. I wonder if a leak was the precursor to EvoScan and ECUFlash...

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line

BDEL will have more of an effect on boost than base wgdc maps. BDEL is the desired engine load to try and achieve vs RPM. The ecu then controls the wgdc to achieve the desired load using the base wgdc value as a start.

I like that theory and agree with it. I wonder if a leak was the precursor to EvoScan and ECUFlash...
For ecuflash, i believe Colby reverse engineered and wrote his own reflash routine by reverse engineering the way the MUT reflashes. Lots of history on openecu.org. The H8 datasheet even gives an example reflash routine.

For Evoscan, Hamish reverse engineered the MUT pids. Lots of history on evolutionm.net

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
BDEL will have more of an effect on boost than base wgdc maps. BDEL is the desired engine load to try and achieve vs RPM. The ecu then controls the wgdc to achieve the desired load using the base wgdc value as a start.

For ecuflash, i believe Colby reverse engineered and wrote his own reflash routine by reverse engineering the way the MUT reflashes. Lots of history on openecu.org. The H8 datasheet even gives an example reflash routine.

For Evoscan, Hamish reverse engineered the MUT pids. Lots of history on evolutionm.net
The more you know, great effort.

Top Bottom