Mitsubishi's V8 8A80 Summary of info. will it fit in a Legnum?!

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
Pearl White 1998 PFL Legnum
Outside the box thinking!!!

So i've been doing some research about the 8A80 from the Mitsubishi Proudia, Dignity and Hyundai Equus. It was a joint venture between Mitsubishi and Hyundai. The Proudia and Dignity were only in production for about 15 months in Japan starting from 99' and only about 2000 cars were ever produced. However, the Hyundai Equus which was basically a rebadged version of the Proudia was quite popular in Korea. and was sold with a 6G74 (3.0L, 3.5L) and the 8A80 engine as well.

The 8A80 Engine which i'm really interested in was modified by Hyundai as at the time Premium unleaded fuel wasn't easily available in Korea and they had a lot of engine issues due to this! so they changed the Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) to a Multi Point Injection (MPI) system similar to what our 6A13tt runs, with what i can assume was individual injectors per cylinder. I'd say that's the engine you'd want over the GDI one.

Important info about the engine-

weight- apparently only 10kgs heavier than a 6G74 at 230kgs. Due to an Alloy Block and Alloy heads.
only 50mm longer than a 6G74. I assume this is length as in from strut tower to strut tower as it's an east west engine.

DOHC
Compression Ratio- 10.7:1
They run an IVECS II gearbox similar to the 6G74 and correct me if I'm wrong similar to an Auto Leggy?

The Engine Orientation is very similar to our stock engine- orientation as far as location of timing belts, alternator, Power steering pump, coolant lines, intake manifold, air box etc.

I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS ENGINE WILL EVEN FIT IN OUR ENGINE BAY!!!!

This engine is designed to move around a curb weight car of 1950kgs. it's got some decent power!

Through import monster- for a half cut before you buy the car from the auctions- you're looking at $2800 which is the price for cutting the car, packing it, shipping it to Australia and import tax. then the price of the car at auction. you can see previously sold cars they have gone for $450-$600 a car. (not to bad IMO) so you'd be looking at a landed price of a half cut of about $3400-$3800.

That's a fair bit of money, however that's only one quote for a price delivered- its also only going to be a GDI model. possibly getting the MPI from Korea would be a better option, however it means the engine will have been run on dodgier fuel during its life time. but will have an injector per cylinder which will make upgrading everything a lot easier I feel.

What to do if you got one of these engines into AU (Multi point Injection ideally)

use a half cut or front end of a parted out leggy or galant and see if it'll fit in.
If it fits- then subframe modification- use leggy one or one that comes with front cut.
engine mounts- uses 4 engine mounts, I can assume in similar position to stock ones- would need some custom brackets chances are and the decide what engine mounts to use. (don't forget although it's a big V8 it's not that much heavier than ours, I'm unsure as to our stock engine weight but i'd assume it is similar if not more than a 6g74 due to turbos and all the extra stuff.)

Then comes driveline issues- will the driveshafts sit in the right spot? what gearbox will you run. you'd really really want a manual- which would involve a custom housing i'm guessing and a strong gearbox for sure.

AWD? could you get it to mount up a stock leggy or evo or awd system with transfer case etc?? I dont know!

ECU- guessing haltec would be the only way to go or something similar- I'd be keen on E85/Flex for this engine due to the fuel properties helping with power and knock prevention.

non turbo???- set of cams in it and E85 it would be a pretty formidable N/A engine possibly?

Turbo??- not good compression for a turbo- could run a low boost turbo set up for some extra power or, change pistons or space the heads to lower compression...

There's obviously lots more to consider. But just a summary of what I've thought of from the top of my head.

Cons- there's a lot-

Price
Time
Fitment?
Why would you do this in the first place?? for me- it's a completely untested platform and that appeals to me hugely, and you're keeping it in the family and putting a Mitsubishi engine in a mitsubishi.
I think this thing if it was in a leggy and fitted and worked etc would be a lovely car to drive. would have a lot of driveable power if you had the driveline to support it.

If you find anything else out about this engine please let me know! I can't find out if it comes with factory forged pistons or rods etc, which would be nice to know and if the heads are held down with some really solid bolts etc. Hope you enjoy the read!

8A80 Engine 4.jpg
8A80 Engine.jpg
8A80 Engine 3.jpg

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Are you a closet Magna owner as this was a common wet dream of theirs... bit of other info on Aussie Magna Club forums if memory serves.

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Hyperthetically cool but realistically too expensive, isn't having a properly built 6a13 in a leggy unique enough ?

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
Are you a closet Magna owner as this was a common wet dream of theirs... bit of other info on Aussie Magna Club forums if memory serves.
They never actually found half this info as far as the engine specs really. they had copied half of the wiki and that was it. they hadn't researched prices etc. and at the time the cars were worth like 5x more so it was a lot more expensive a project to under take.
I'm not a fan of magna's really. so nah. lol.
no one has ever done it. that's what i'm a fan of.

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
Hyperthetically cool but realistically too expensive, isn't having a properly built 6a13 in a leggy unique enough ?
There's nothing wrong with a 6A13tt built. thats for sure. this would just be a one of a kind epic project. I feel like daily driveability of a built 6A13tt wouldn't be that nice due to the need for bigger turbos creating low end lag really.
whereas this engine could be a nice daily driven one possibly. never know until you try though!

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
The V8 would be too wide. To fit the trans between the chassis rails, there were some ameican FWD V8's but the trans was behind the motor not next to it (google northstar FWD V8)
Even if you managed to move the passenger chassis rail to fit the trans, or a manual box. Then you would need to find axles to suit, I assume you would wanna stay 4WD and V8 being 90 degree bank angle not 60 degree like a V6 means you will more than likely not have enough space for the transfer case in there, not to mention the engine is wider so firewall and radiator clearance to the heads/exhaust could be an issue.

Also do you plan on keeping the GDI? Because as far as I know Haltech dont do a GDI capable ECU.
LINK does but it is a new product and only has 4 high voltage injector drivers so you either need to convert it to port injection or run 2 4cyl ECU's to keep the direct injection working.
Would be unique for sure but its going to bankrupt you making it work!
Pretty sure the valvetrain is the usual roller rocker arm same as all the mitsubishis from the same era. As for the bottom end I'm unsure.

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
IMG_9293.PNG
IMG_9292.PNG

So I was looking at the MFI one @6A13TT TYPE S
Korea updated it and put a multi fuel injection system in. So individual injectors etc.

As to all your other statements. All very true! I have no idea if it'd fit.

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
The really cool thing is, I haven't seen this detailed a discussion on any other public forum. Maybe closed discussions it's happened. But interested to figure out more about it just for that sake.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Much like removing a bandaid, its best to do it quickly, so (my educated opinion is) it wont fit nor work ...And if it did fit and did work, it would be a poor choice of engine to put in.

Things to consider regarding this engine:
1. Size / accessories
2. Bellhousing
3. technology / making it run
4. Availability/parts
5. Knowledge base

1) Size
We know its about 50mm bigger than a 6G motor. I have seen a 6G and a 6a13tt installed in identical engine bays. the 6G is maybe 20mm longer (pulley to bellhousing) then a 6a13tt. so the 8A80 would be 75-80ish mm longer, now i havent looked in a vr4 engine bay for a while but i reckon i can safely bet we dont have 80mm spare.

also note starter location...

123_110F00004T.png

say it did fit? next thing is making it fit a gearbox

2) Bellhousing

123_110F00006T.png

thats a unique bellhousing. 100% can confirm not 6G and not 6A/4G9X and defs not 4G6X either. and no one wants to convert their VR4's to fwd auto, so lets assume manual AWD is the goal.

so to mount that up to a gearbox, you'll need an adaptor plate, custom/modified clutch and flywheel, not to mention starter location...so you've gotta chop a hole into your $1500 vr4 gearbox and thats assuming the starter hole didnt effect any bolts holes etc.

another point to note is the fact that it is a 90degree V8. thats a wide ass mofo. in the pic above you can see the space where the CV's mount into the box/diff, they're low. really low to clear the bulk of the block. (as in output shaft in relation to input shaft). The driveshafts probably flat or even uphill in the Proudia, no solid evidence there but a fair guestimation, and i doubt the engineers/designers were concerned about people lowering them, so that means the transfer case etc from a vr4 transmission would probably interfere with the 8A80's block. and you cant just space it out either. another strike against.

but say it would fit and would mount nicely to a vr4 box?

3. technology / making it run

as Adam said, its a DOHC v8 with GDi....what a nightmare. not thanks. oh and its got EGR/emmision crud all over it...see link below

BUT! i hear you say, " What if it did fit, it did mount to a vr4 box and we could make it run?"

4. Availability/parts

the engine is exotic and practically unheard of and has zero aftermarket support. Mitsubishi would be your only merchant for parts. oem parts too. bigger cams? custom. cam gears? custom. It's just a poor choice of motor to use based on this. there is zero support for it and if it did break...what do you do? buy another one? fix it maybe....

5. Knowledge base

We all know how trying it can be to own a VR4. And we've got a pretty knowledgable little community. Sure you cant buy all kinds of stuff off ebay or any one of the thousand forsale pages on facebook like you could a Nissan, but we make things here or owner know people who can make things or retrofit. Now imagine you're doing it by yourself....yeah no thanks.

Here's one for sale: http://baza.drom.ru/khabarovsk/sell...na-mitsubishi-proudia-s33a-8a80-36911097.html

So thats my thoughts on it. I do know they're 4 bolts mains, have unique conrods, and a timing setup like a 1UZ (one cam gear and the intake and exhaust cams are driven by large meshing gears in the head itself)
111_130F00002T.png

111_230F00002T.png

Something to think about if someone did want to do a crazy engine swap...maybe a VQ35DE with TT's or even Hartley / Synergy V8 with turbos? least those engines are powerful, well known and have lots of support. If you want to keep it mitsubishi: 6g75 block, Jdm spec 6G72 Dohc heads and a big ass turbo. Would see 1000hp easily.

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
Wow! Thanks for all the input mate! Where'd you find the engine pictures??
All the things you've said I've also noted and thought about. But i didn't have exact measurements. From what you've said it really just wouldn't fit in. :(
The only thing that you might not have noticed was that you could get it as a MPI instead of GDI. Which would fix that as a tuning issue.

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Legnum 6A13TT, Galant 6A13
Great info, thanks! As for engine swaps if you want a transversely mounted V8 perhaps a LS4 would be a better fit. It's an aluminum block V8. Parts would be no problem in the US.https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/transverse-lsx/36377/page1/

Most of all our cars need to stay AWD due to the poor weight distribution. There is a guy in Saudi Arabia who did a 2JZ RWD Galant. He also owns a VR-4. The RWD Galant has big traction issues so he actually likes his 6A13TT car more :-D

1017464_820256711317873_7045538197769354859_n.jpg

Top Bottom