need some info please

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
hi i started my car this morning n drove to work car was fine. finished work went out to start car and it just makes a clicking noise from starter motor and wont turn over. so i jump started it with the work ute n it took bout 3mins to finally start. drove home left the car running for a bit, turned it off n still is doing weird clicky sound. so just wanna clear up with you guys think cause i think my battery is stuffed but then i dont no what would of made it go flat so quick as no lights were left on. could it be my alternator? or starter motor on its way out? cheers

PeteGT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
'99 Legnum - S Manual
Silly question, but are your battery terminals tight/corrosion free?

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
yer they are all clean and tight already checked

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
im getting power to car n dvd player is working just wont start everytime i go to turn it over it just clicks

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Sounds like a dead battery cell. Have you got a multimeter?

If you do place it on the battery and watch the voltage as you try and crank it. That clicking noise is the solenoid on the starter motor trying to energise then releasing then trying to energise again.

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
thanks mate ill get one off my mate tonight. thought it was my battery just wanted to double check. what sorta battery is best suited for our cars?? thanks heaps

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Thats a hard question, if you don't want to go stupid expensive then a century battery will work well and is a quality battery (made in Australia if I'm not mistaken), as for what one to get you will just have to measure it up, don't get the tall one though as it may short out on the bonnet. You will want one of the bigger ones as the smaller ones will die faster because they cant sustain the high power demand of our starters, they are designed for smaller cars like corollas.

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
thanks heaps for the info mate real help.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Michael, Mitsubishi recommend a minimum of 520 CCA battery for VR4's. There are a number of old battery threads with really useful information, such as this one, including my original post of the mitsi battery specs here.

Remember, the Search Button is your friend :)

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
thank you and sorry was in a rush n wasnt thinking

Sloth

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
Galant VR4, Legnum VR4
The first thing: Hope it is low battery charge, but....

Starter motor solenoids can wear out, in that they don't "throw" enough to engage the teeth on the flywheel. Thus the clicking. (Insufficient battery charge also doesn't "throw" the shaft far enough.) They can also get clagged up (clutch dust, etc).

A quick test: (this may sound silly, but here goes)

When it's clicking, get someone to hit the starter with a hammer (or wrench or whatever). Don't be too gentle. If the starter then engages and the car starts, it show that the starter itself is at fault, and so there is a very good chance that you need to get an auto electrician to rebuild the starter motor. It shouldn't be expensive, because it is just a case of cleaning it up, and replacing bushes etc as needed. Depending on your skill/bravery, it could even be DIY cleaning (brake cleaner for the dust, clean visible contacts) job.

IF you do decide to remove the starter DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST. The starter recieves the full whack from the battery, unfused - enough current to do a lot of damage (and I've got the scars / nerve damage to prove it - the metal watch-band that touched melted - this caused the burns which needed the surgery......)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hammer was my friend for 9 months with my old galant :) always had it under my seat..

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
def a dead battery. ive had many battery problems in my time and these days i only use dry cell batteries. the optima's have the deep cycle with can be drained 100's of times and most have around 800+CCA. excellent for a decent sized stereo too.

Top Bottom