Learning how to drive AWD

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
Patrol, Sil80, Legnum VR4 TypeS
Another thing (Since I am seeing a lot about AYC)

From my understanding, AYC is a device intended to assist in cornering by controlling yaw so that the car travels in an optimal line around corners. NOT as traction control.

That being said, going fast around a corner, tyres screeching etc. doesn't always result in 3 AYC bars. The fewer AYC bars you see, the less work the AYC diff is doing and the better the result (at least in corner speed)

So, if you're goal is driving fast (we all know sliding is fun), try using the AYC as a helpful tool where less bars is better.

don't know about that. I get the first bar of AYC lit up without even trying. Mostly seems to happen when turning in under trailing throttle. I expect it to be working overtime when I take it to Lakeside in a couple of weeks time.

I've never been a big believer in "smooth is fast" either. Well, that's not entirely true. I think I just have a different definition of "smooth" to most people. You can get a little sideways while still being smooth. Here's a vid of me in the Supra at Lakeside earlier this year before I sold it. Won the Lakeside Street Sprint Series last year, and this lap was about a tenth off my PB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsdDnz7ZHQk

Will get video from the Legnum too.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Smooth as in keeping the car balanced through the corner.... You'll shave too much speed on entry if its not balanced, and have trouble at the apex as well. You can be balanced and sliding though, will agree with that :)

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Yeh, not sure about that. I get 3 bars fairly easy.

AYC is there to sort the car out so i can drive it harder. You know another use for it? :confused:

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Hard to say without seeing from outside, but by your hands it appeared that most (if not all) of your counter-steer was from apex to corner exit where you were getting lateral drift because you were on the accelerator, speeding up as you exited the corner.

If that is the case, I don't see anything unusual from how you would drive the VR-4 at that sort of pace. (or more accurately at/close to its grip limit).

I don't see anywhere that your post disagrees with mine though. You can still do that without getting 3 AYC bars. Not being RWD, the VR4 doesn't drift (if driven/setup correctly) in the same manner and as such the drift tends to be more neutral. AYC is happy with this as it doesn't take much in the way of correction. In fact, I have had lateral drift at corner apex to exit without ANY correction required. First time I just about crapped my pants, but it kept straight so I kept the accelerator planted and exited the corner just nicely.

Nice video by the way. Nice driving too :)

don't know about that. I get the first bar of AYC lit up without even trying. Mostly seems to happen when turning in under trailing throttle. I expect it to be working overtime when I take it to Lakeside in a couple of weeks time.

I've never been a big believer in "smooth is fast" either. Well, that's not entirely true. I think I just have a different definition of "smooth" to most people. You can get a little sideways while still being smooth. Here's a vid of me in the Supra at Lakeside earlier this year before I sold it. Won the Lakeside Street Sprint Series last year, and this lap was about a tenth off my PB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsdDnz7ZHQk

Will get video from the Legnum too.

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
Patrol, Sil80, Legnum VR4 TypeS
I was only refering to the AYC lights not lighting up at the race track. Mine comes on way before you are even trying on the road, like its trying to start working even before anything even remotely silly happens! lol

I guess I'll have to wait and see what it does on the track - you've done it in the Legnum and I haven't. But i doubt I'll be looking at the dash while cornering hard. And often the wheel is in the way anyhow.

yeah i don't exect the Legnum to be anywhere near as spectacular to watch, or as interesting to drive with its AWD & AYC. Not to mention Auto. Have been trying to get used to the tiptronic before I go out there too.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Nice posts guys, I was going to ramble a bit but everyone's basically said everything I wanted to say :p

Top Bottom