Legnum monster tacho

badvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
marty
Drive
mitsti legnum
hey people..just a quick question...i went and got my leggy serviced the other day at tuning and turbo and ask them while they were at it if they could install my monster tacho...and they reckoned it couldnt be done...is this true??
cheers

badvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
marty
Drive
mitsti legnum
nah nah the bloke just reckons the leggy would give the tacho faulse readings or sumthing...but i know sweet **** all bout this stuff...so i just nodded my head n said "oh ok".the tachos perfectly fine

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Crap. Have a search through the forum and find the wiring list for the Engine Management Unit. Have a close look at that and one of the wires will have something marked on it showing that it goes to the existing tacho. Carefully strip some insulation from that then join and solider, connect your other wires as required and you should be good to go.
I'm sure someone here can give you a better run down on how to do it than me.

badvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
marty
Drive
mitsti legnum
thats what i thought would normally happen...just thought id look like a goose suggesting it

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Marty I have never tried to splice into a tacho output line before, and I'd honestly need to do a whole lot of reading before I even attempted it. The potential problems could be your aftermarket unit may not understand the signals being passed to it, or adding an extra device to the output from the ECU could alter the resistence, causing an error somewhere. Not knowing anything about the device in question all this is total speculation, though.

My suggestion would be to attempt to find out how the aftermarket tacho gets its input, either through a sensor or by hooking into your factory harness. Either calling the manufacturer or talking to a bunch of auto electricians for different opinions would be the way to go.

What documentation did you get with it? What's it's model code, and who made it?

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I think the first question is why bother? Having a big tacho sticking up infront of you offer zero advantage, if mounted on your dash will be illegal and in my opinion looks pretty damn stupid. I don't get it?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've seen a few in NZ, but i just don't see the point, I've never had a problem changing gear at the right time and my car gets through the gears faster than anyone elses :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
While I do agree, this isn't a 'taste' forum - its his car, so if he wants one who are we to say he can't just cause we think it's garish and ostentatious?

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
Ostentatious? Them big words Trev lol Yep had a tacho in my ZR4 which was already in place when I recieved the veh, as soon as I had the time, I took the HUGE monster out!

But hey, each to there own I reckon.

badvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
marty
Drive
mitsti legnum
i like the look of em'.floats my boat.so obviously nobody thats seen this thread has a leggy with a monsta tacho??

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
What sort of signal does the tacho require? I.e. what wave forms/voltage/current triggers it? Should say in the documentation that came with it.

Top Bottom