legnums in water/rain

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i wouldnt have a clue,but after reading the oxygen sensor thread and reading whereabouts it is on the car it sound like it could be that one,right hand side of the passengers foot space.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That's the one - if you look under the car at that position you'll see a cable from the floor that heads into the O2 sensor bolted into the top of your exhaust. You really don't want to go sealing that bung up with silicone 'cause you need to be able to pull it out and replace it occasionally...

If the grommet is split you need to either replace it, or try fixing it with sikaflex 252 or similar. But DON'T seal it to the car!

G

Unregistered
ah so yes its a old thread but I drove VR-4 through a high flood with water almost up to door handles an obviously up over bonnet. The Legnum just kept on going with a 4x4 Narvara an Hilux coming in opposite direction pushing huge walls of water in front of them........must admit it was just a small flood in a dip in the road so I probably only drove through about 10ft of high water, my heart skipped a beat when i saw that wall of water roll up to my windshield I was waiting for hydro lock but nothing......and no water leaked into cab. Engine temp went all the way down an I rolled out to the the amazement of the drivers of the cars parked at the opposite side.

Stock intake is a marvel at catching water........won't catch me doing that again

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
if i were you i would be removing all piping and i mean absolutely every pipe and hose starting from the snorkel/snout looking thing all the way to the throttle body plus the intercooler and letting them dry. i would also remove the turbos and get them checked over.
interesting story though

G

Unregistered
this was a few days ago been driving without problem since. I had a look into the engine bay a few miles down the road an there was splash marks an what ever but no puddles of water on tranny or collected in the intake......all fluids was ok. An engine was idling fine so I did not bother to do a total break down later that day.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
The reason you should never try such a stunt is if any water is pulled into the air intake, because it's uncompressible as soon as it hits the cylinders the engine will blow itself to pieces as it starts the compression stroke of the piston. One of my brothers blew a Chrysler 300C engine up during the big storm in April just by going through a 1' deep puddle ('cause the air intake on those things sits under one of the headlamps). Cost him $7.5k to replace (although he did get around 100hp upgrade out of it, so not all bad).

The VR4 will handle water nearly 2' in depth, but definitely do not let it get higher than the headlamps or you could kill it in short order.

G

Unregistered
well mine drove through water up to the headlights an then up to the windshield after the two 4x4s passed me. But I guess I got lucky the water did not get sucked in cause I seriously was waiting for hydro-lock

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Thats ballsy, I would never do that. Out of curiosity, what made you think to drive through something that deep?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I am amazed that nothing stopped, you must have been just under the intake depth for most of the time and had an air pocket under the bonnet or something when the water went over the top.

Wow! (and lucky)

G

Unregistered
yeah must have been an air pocket cause there is a rubber lip across the front of the hood i guessed it stopped the water from rushing in over the radiator an into the snorkel

good thinking mr mitsu engineer man who ever you are..................xoxoxox

Top Bottom