Lets talk Manual gear ratios

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
long time since anyone posted here. So how did it go brad?

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
I just came across a final drive ratio of 4.000 for the evo's, it is made by an unknown co from West Coast of USA.
It looks as if they can do custom ratios or they just change them around every month. Probably not too bad of a price when you think about it.

Linkies Below:
http://www.evolutionoz.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27655

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Arghh, I joined up and posted a thread just to see that ivan at x3e does them!

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I don't think I would be too keen on changing the final drive ratios now.

Having a longer 1st and 2nd (Evo gear set) is great, I highly recommend it.
Not so keen on the longer 5th though. If you plan on travelling in excess of 230km/h and have the power to get there for long enough to make it useful, then go for it.
My experience left me a bit disappointed in the acceleration cost though, I would much prefer better acceleration in 5th and slightly less top end speed.

I guess the question is how often to you top out 5th gear? If you do it lots, then yeah, you might have a case for bigger 5th. But if you only top out for say 5 seconds, then no point either as the longer gear will mean you probably won't get to that speed anyway due to the acceleration cost.

I reckon just get a 1st and 2nd gear from an Evo. Bigger the 1st the better.
The 2nd that I have in the gearbox takes the speedo up to 100km/h. Only problem with that is if you are in a 50k zone, 4500RPM and you are eligible for a ticket. And 4500 RPM comes up very fast.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Kenneth, you have the longer 0.721 5th gear as well. The stock ratios at 7000rpm will give you:

Your EVO gears with longer 1st 2nd and 5th will give

And stock gears with 3.73 final drive will be:

The longer 3.73 final drive is actually quite close to the EVO gears but you get a longer 3rd and 4th with it which might be rather handy.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Handy for what? Around town standard 3rd is great, almost like an auto. Lengthen that and you may have to keep changing up and down all over the place.
There is nothing worse than being stuck between 2 gear ratios when driving around town.

5th does seem a touch short for travelling at 110+, but as per previous post I would prefer it as a trade off for the acceleration.

Kenneth, you have the longer 0.721 5th gear as well. The stock ratios at 7000rpm will give you:

Your EVO gears with longer 1st 2nd and 5th will give

And stock gears with 3.73 final drive will be:

The longer 3.73 final drive is actually quite close to the EVO gears but you get a longer 3rd and 4th with it which might be rather handy.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I normally use 4th around town, sometimes 5th on the road where I know I'm not going to be slowed at all for the next km or so.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I normally use 4th around town, sometimes 5th on the road where I know I'm not going to be slowed at all for the next km or so.

I usually cruise through town in 5th with standard gear ratios.... Thats at about 60km/h

I have noticed that first and second are DAMN short in the manual and so is fifth. I'm always searching for another gear on the highway. Would like to do something about it one day but it looks expensive :eek:

My car is standard too, must be a PITA once you have big HP and try to get through first and second! Almost a waste of gears lol...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Having now pulled the transmission and clutch out, I'm far less intimidated by this mod and look forward to playing around with some altered gear ratios in the future (when I have the cash to throw at it).

Brad you should put your final drive upgrade to the test and put your awesome clutch in while you're at it - it will only take you a weekend with Carsten's help ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Funny you bring it up, the car is going to get a longer 1st 2nd and 5th shortly :)

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Funny you bring it up, the car is going to get a longer 1st 2nd and 5th shortly :)

In other words you wont need the final drive change eh?

We aught to have a chat about when to do the gearbox change etc. Not sure on the bearings on the gear set you have, you reckon it could be worth having them changed? (At my expense of course!)

I know the Set currently in my car was pretty much brand new, so no worries there. Just wondering if there is anything that can be done while gearboxes are out (bearing upgrades etc) that is cost effective to do now.

I just KNOW my gearbox is going to take a heck of a lot of abuse. :p

Any bets on how long the AYC diff lasts? :p

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
i normally drive in 5th around town, still has easy pickup to acelerate and keeps revs down and on highway 5th is way to short doing 3000rpm at 108 or so its seems like its constantly on ready to boost would love it to drop to under 2500 if it was ever possible with gear changes

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Ken - will be writing an email in the next 5 min then :) Does make sense for the shaft bearing to be replaced, ironic that it is the gearset from your 2002 car and that you're getting it back :D

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You can find all the bearings in CAPS (or ASA for those at the cutting edge ;)) fairly easily and order them direct from Mitsi Japan. I got myself a couple of bearings for the end of the input and output shafts, but having seen the existing ones I don't think I need to bother at this stage. Better to keep the new ones and replace them when I upgrade the gearing.

You could pull your existing gearbox apart and take the bearings to an industrial supplier who may be able to match them for you, but I don't like your chances with some of them.

Brad, make sure you take heaps of pics - you have a quad-plate clutch going in, don't you??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
But don't you have a super four-plate that you bought for way too much money just lying around??

Top Bottom