Lets talk Manual gear ratios

mgtd98

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Cmdghost
Drive
Galant 2.0 TD (DD), Galant V6 2.5, Legnum VR4 PFL
Easier to just put the Evo gear set into the vr4 casting
yes if you are lucky to find a manual gearbox casting right? dont think those are easy to show up on sale haha

mgtd98

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Cmdghost
Drive
or just swap a whole evo gearbox to a 6a13, would be missing 2 bolts... but dont think it would make much harm...starter motor sits in the same position.
no need to go trough the effort of opening a gearbox and swap gears imho.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
From memory evo boxes dont have the provision for the starter to mount in the VR4 position (low at the front)
As evos mount the starter high and at the back under the intake mani (where our rear turbo is)

And swapping gearsets and shimming a geabox is a piece of piss. See my thread here about how to do it
https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/adams-99-facelift-legnum-mivec.13822/page-12

mgtd98

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Cmdghost
Drive
From memory evo boxes dont have the provision for the starter to mount in the VR4 position (low at the front)
As evos mount the starter high and at the back under the intake mani (where our rear turbo is)

And swapping gearsets and shimming a geabox is a piece of piss. See my thread here about how to do it
https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/adams-99-facelift-legnum-mivec.13822/page-12
Im not saying to use a evo gearbox...
Im saying a evo gearset inside a vr4 transmission bell housing, its the only one that fits a 6a13tt.

Evo manual gearvox is almost the same as a manual vr4 the gear ratios are diferent as mebtioned on your post(wich i liked reading its very detailed)

But they share things in common. For example the central diferential is the same for every that has 4x4 (w5m and w5a).

Another example is the f5m gearbox (6a13 fwd) its similar to the w5m without the longer central diferential and no transfer case, bell housing is also diferent (cant bolt the transfer case)

So my point is, no proof yet just theory...if you have an auto vr4 and wanna go manual...get a fwd manual gearbox, swap the central diff and bell housing from the auto to the manual, and you can have a manual vr5. Or get the fwd bell housing and the one from the auto, to have a shell that mates to the 6a13tt...and the install a evo gearbox gear set inside that shell dont change just the 5th gear...

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
No, you cant use an auto bellhousing on a manual box
And a 4G93T GSR has the same bellhousing as 6A13TT. Thats why the VR4 bellhousing has a lump for a starter up high as well as down low because the same part has to fit both the V6 and the 4G93

Reactions: Gav

mgtd98

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Cmdghost
Drive
No, you cant use an auto bellhousing on a manual box
And a 4G93T GSR has the same bellhousing as 6A13TT. Thats why the VR4 bellhousing has a lump for a starter up high as well as down low because the same part has to fit both the V6 and the 4G93
Are you sure? When i said bell housing i meant, the torque converter housing of the w5a51 is the same as the clutch housing on the manual w5m51...the have the same bolt pattern on the engine side and same on the side that conects to the gears housing.

The w5m51 of an evo has a similar bolt pattern it fits a 6a13tt however its missing 2 bolt holes...on the side that conects to the engine block...

I dont know if anyone ever tried looking it up, i have taken apart a f5m42 and have some pictures that show that they are pretty much the same, i also have the workshop manual for all 3 gearboxes and the only difference on a manual fwd and and a manual awd is the transfer case

Have you tried anything like that or know anyone? I can send some pictures if you like

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yes, torque converter housing vs clutch housing is completely different. All you have to do is look at it to know they are not exchangeable. For example the auto housing has no provision for a clutch release fork, the auto uses a smaller ring gear than the manual so the starter is in a different position and wont work with a flywheel. Not to metion the gearset bearing races and shifter forks locate in the back of the clutch housing which the auto one is completely different.

And even if a F5M5 clutch housing was able to be fitted to a W5M5 back half/gearset what good is it if you cant bolt your transfer case on?

Im not sure what your trying to acheive here but you seem to be making a job exceptionally more complicated than it needs to be. Just use a VR4 or GSR gearbox and put your desired evo ratios into it. It takes like half an hour to strip and reassemble a gearset if you hace access to a press...

mgtd98

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Cmdghost
Drive
I understand. I was just wondering things i havent started anything. But i will be going manual in the future. So the manual options for a 6a13tt are evo gsr gearboxes? Is there a thread for compatible gearboxes?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Not GSR evolutions. Only the 4G93T GSRs the gearbox casing is the same as a VR4 box but different ratios. But same story you can swap the gearsets between any W5M51

Nato-dawg

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Nathan
Drive
Honda EF b16a2 manual
Vr4 legnum 6a13tt manual
B4 legacy ej206tt tiptronic
The rear diff (with ayc) has given up in my manual legnum vr4 and i have been struggling to find a replacement manual diff since they're becoming more uncommon ( in new Zealand ) but I have been able to locate a diff for a tiptronic 5 speed vr4 and have been told they're interchangeable but I'd like to confirm that before purchasing as can't find much information on the subject anyone able to help?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
The rear diff (with ayc) has given up in my manual legnum vr4 and i have been struggling to find a replacement manual diff since they're becoming more uncommon ( in new Zealand ) but I have been able to locate a diff for a tiptronic 5 speed vr4 and have been told they're interchangeable but I'd like to confirm that before purchasing as can't find much information on the subject anyone able to help?

Manual and auto diffs are identical. (y)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Just on the why open an evo box up.... cos apart from the whole bellhousing thing the evo final drive is about 5% shorter do you want to swap that

Top Bottom