Long distance trips bad for car?

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Mitsubishi Colt, Patrol, Pulsar Q
I'm planning a trip from Perth to QLD (& return after a few weeks) in September next year, driving my Leggie, but have heard that these cars don't like the distance trips like that, cos the heat effects the turbos when running for so long. Is there any truth to this, and what precautions are needed? Has anyone else driven their's across the country, pretty much non-stop? Trying to work out if the drive is worth the risk.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
First i have heard, you will prob be doing a lot of 100-110 kmh and not really boosting at all.

I drove my car from QLD to VIC the day i bought it stopping only 3 times for 30 mins, no prob at all.

Just get a service, alignment and pump the tyres up.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
and do a periodical check up on your tires, brake fluid, oil & radiator fluid every 1000kms or so.. just to be safe..

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Thanks. Does anyone know if all Servos across the country stock premium fuel?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Most major country servo's have 98 these days, but as a backup just have a couple of bottles of octane boost with you. If they dont have 98, put in the octane booster with premium (95) and you'll have 98.

If you add octane booster to 91 (regular) then you'll only increase to ~95 ron - so don't boost it till you can get 98 in the tank again ;)

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Any brand of octane booster in particular, or are they all pretty much the same?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I did a trip form Oakey (Near Toowoomba about 1.5hrs west of Brissy) to Darwin no problems at all, ran only 98RON the whole way, admittedly I did have two 20L jerry cans and i was pulling a small trailer but yeah, no problems at all.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Any brand of octane booster in particular, or are they all pretty much the same?

Ive heard some have really crappy additives in them, I cant remember the brand i have but its one of the best apparently, as it was i didn't need it anyway :)

Ill check what it was and write up tomorrow.

G

Unregistered
If your car is an auto, you really should have a transmission cooler fitted at this time of year.

Apart from that, a spare selection of belts and radiator hoses is a must if embarking on any big road trips. As is a full-size spare if you can squeeze one in. Carry some water for the radiator and a bit of your preferred oil too.

I did a trip in the country a couple of months back and had a bit of trouble even getting 95, luckily I was just able to get to a servo that had some. The car ran fine on that, I just took it easy as a precaution.

Apart from that, some kind of roadside assist membership or car insurance with breakdown towing, accomodation etc when away from home is always nice.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
VR-4's run fine on 95 if you aren't trashing them. I've driven 1200km in mine in a day about 3 times now and never had any problems at all, as well as doing around 100km on a track over 2 hours or so. I can promise you that the temperature of the engine bay is MUCH hotter on the track than after any road driving :)

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
98ron fuel will be an issue as long as you're in WA! Apart from Perth, Kalgoorlie, Geraldton & Albany you won't find any 98ron I guess. There is not even 98ron in Karratha! (Unleaded price up here atm is $1.399 -.-)

Depends on which way you're going, be aware there won't be any 98 between Kalgoorlie & Alice Springs and nothing between Geraldton & xxx (Broome maybe?!?!)

I can pick a new company car in the new year, I thought about getting a Legnum (costs way less than a brand new car), put a bullbar on and bring it to mine spec :cool: But because of the fuel issue I'll have to go with a Hilux Diesel etc....

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
lol when I brought my Galant over I couldn't get anything else apart from 95RON, trust me they'll run fine on it.

It probably depends on which way you're wanting to go. A safer run would probably be through SA and NSW than up over the top via Darwin.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I've done LOTS of long trips in mine (Without being tame) and had no dramas. It'll be fine :)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I would have thought that long trips would tend to cause less wear and tear on the car's mechanicals (e.g. all fluids up to temp, less stress on the transmission, clutch, suspension, brakes etc).

It's usually short trips that cause additional wear and tear on a vehicle because the fluids aren't up to temp and you're constantly on and off the throttle, brake and gears.

This is why you often see cars for sale with high K's but qualified with "highway kilometres / long distance driving etc".

This of course, assumes that you're not driving through unsealed/dusty roads.

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
It should love it, fresh oil before you start and no probs. Lets face it, if it couldn't make it run it off a cliff because its hopeless.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Errrrr... as the person who has racked probably the MOST kilometres in a Legnum (as the prior own of Grandpa with 200,000+kms) I can safely say that these cars LOVE long distance trips & there's no detrimental effect on them.

I used my car for a work vehicle for nearly 2 years & as long it was regaularly maintained I had no troubles apart from the usual servicing intervals.

Install a cruise control system & you'll be laughing.

Anyone who says otherwise is full of garbage.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I drove an auto 84 model Ford Telestar from Melbourne to Canberra and back 3 times doing cracker runs, Im sure a VR4 can survive a long trip.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
lol the turbo's will be fine. If anything these cars luuuurve long drives, i've managed my best economy figures on long highway trips.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
you should take it. from experience, the best economy is achieved at 180kph

Top Bottom