Long distance trips bad for car?

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
1999 Galant VR4 1993 HJ V6
Hmm... Now I know why mine was terrible... I was only doing 173kph...

Must have had the handbrake on... Looks like I'll need another test run.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Errrrr... as the person who has racked probably the MOST kilometres in a Legnum (as the prior own of Grandpa with 200,000+kms) I can safely say that these cars LOVE long distance trips & there's no detrimental effect on them.

I used my car for a work vehicle for nearly 2 years & as long it was regaularly maintained I had no troubles apart from the usual servicing intervals.

Install a cruise control system & you'll be laughing.

Anyone who says otherwise is full of garbage.

Very good point - it's the best money you'll ever spend if you're doing a long trip.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I used 95 octane on a run from Wisemans Ferry to Peats Ridge and back down to Sydney via the Old Pac hwy.. and it was anything BUT "babying" the whole way (some of the guys here will remember this fun run haha)..

The petrol station at Wisemans ferry ONLY had up to 95..

The car ran so smoothly, didn't feel a noticeable lack in power and had no dramas at all for that whole tank of fuel (I was low and definitely needed a top up)..

You should be fine if you get caught out with the only option being 95..

The VR4 I had been really nice on the long distance trips I've done in it, cruising at 100-120kmh nicely :)

G

Unregistered
I constantly run mine on 95RON - it runs fine (but it only does "commuting", and no track-thrashing...so I suppose I'm not using it to its full potential)

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Mitsubishi Colt, Patrol, Pulsar Q
Thanks for all the feedback. I feel much better bout taking her across now. Still quite a while away yet, so who knows what might happen between now & then. Hopefully my brakes will be sorted before then. It's almost painful to apply the brakes at 110 cos of the rotor warpage. Gettn worse & too many bills to get new ones. That's if the rotors are the only problem!! Knowing my luck!

Top Bottom