Looking for something that will replace the stock speakers

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Good afternoon people,
I'm looking for a set of speakers that will simply replace the two front and two rear factory speakers. I'm looking for a set with excellent bass. I want to retain the factory head unit.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to start.
I don't know what the size of the front and rear speakers is. But if anyone has replaced these with a higher/better output set, could you give me a recommendation?

P9300037.jpg

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Do a search I know there is this information about somewhere on here as I have read it before.

I am pretty sure the speakers are 6.5" front and rear from what I read somewhere on here before.

I am sure one of the regulars will probably tell you where to find it if you have any trouble.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Nigel, I did a search before starting the thread. I found information on a Rockford Fosgate replacement but then it got a bit off track and people started talking about new amps and this and that.
I'm just tyring to find some good replacements without having to upgrade with amps and new head units etc. :)

So both speakers are 6.5's front and rear? Or fronts are larger?

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
front and rear I think from what I remember reading.

Hey but I haven't actually got my Legnum yet! But I used to run my own business doing car audio sales and install, so I'll be replacing my speakers at some point. I would think the best advice I could give would be to listen to as many speakers as you can in store somewhere.

I personally wouldn't use Sony but that is only my opinion. I would go with a split set up in the front and maybe just a good 2 way coax in the back. I would like to install a stealth sub and amp under the rear wagon area.

I hope some other members come into this thread and give some advice on what speakers they have and how they fitted etc.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Generally speaking, both 6 and 6.5's will fit.

You currently have 2 way components (tweeter and woofer are separate) so you will probably want a set of these to replace them with.

Currently i have Alpine Type - X which you wouldn't use without an amp, but the Type -R series (the new ones, the older models sound like ass) sound great and would be appropriate for this install as they fit straight in and do produce a good amount of bass. MB Quartz and JL audio also make some very nice sounding speakers but they aren't terribly loud. Compensation for quality i guess ;)

The Rockfords are loud but personally i don't like them.

Don't go for Clarions if you want bass, they fail miserably.

And if you are listening to a set, make sure they are in a car because they sound different in a wall!

Its all personal preference bro, so good luck! :D

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Thanks for the advice fellas - gave me a better understanding of what to do.
I'll steer clear of them Sony's lol
I'll look for a set 6.5's that will go into all doors :)

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Personally, I am a DLS boy when it comes to speakers and subs these days. :)

You can get some quite nice ones that will sound very nice without an amp. :)

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I could not find a set of 6.5's anywhere!
Yes, many brands claim their speakers are 6.5inch, but they were not.

6 inch fit fine, just require new screw holes to be drilled into the exsisting plastic mount.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I made MDF spacers to fit 6" into the existing mounts. There's a thread somewhere on doing this.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
how about alpine type E, aren't they suppose to be good for straight H/U install?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
how about alpine type E, aren't they suppose to be good for straight H/U install?

E stands for Entry level.... They're not bad for about $100 retail

Type S would be the next step up which are OK for H/U but the Type R's would be the pick of the bunch for "normally" under $300. Anything bigger than that and you wouldn't bother installing without an amp

In saying that, EVERYTHING will sound better with an amp ;)

G

Unregistered
Err, people install stereos without amps?? Are you KIDDING?! *scratches head*

Invest a little more for a small amp even a Fusion 300w would be suffice as this will give you far better sound and the bass you are after. Most entry level speakers are 200w plus if you go this high the head unit will struggle to power the speakers and will end up distorting! Have a look at the alpine stuff if you want good clarity and sound reproduction or have a look for some reasonable priced Rockford fosgate.

IMO

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
rainbow make 6.5" speakers, DLS do them. the japanese ones are 6" with 6.5" tags to mount the speakers. they leak around the sides.

for rainbow look at the 6.5" slc range.

G

Unregistered
has anyone measured the depth of the space in the doors? I'm assuming though if you can fit alpine type x, you will be able to get nearly any speaker in there

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
How do you normally run the door speakers from an AMP? Would you put a smaller AMP in the front somewhere.... it seems like a load of arsing about to run the speaker lines from the center console right back to the boot.

G

Unregistered
How do you normally run the door speakers from a sub? Would you put a smaller sub in the front somewhere.... it seems like a load of arsing about to run the speaker lines from the center console right back to the boot.
im sorry but i dont understand what you are asking

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Fixed. I typed sub instead of amp. Damn Lexdysia.

When I was younger I would always run the front doors from the head unit and then have 7x10's on the back tray and the sub running of the amp.

Top Bottom