LPG powered VR4 Galant/Legnum

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
will you be publishing all the details about the instalation on the forum so other people can duplicate what you have done.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Apples with apples though, the LPG system would have been tuned but has the ULP system also been tuned? If it makes more on LPG then my hats off to Joe.

You are correct there, if the petrol system was also tuned, then he should in theory also see a power and economy gain. Then again you'd be stupid to get it tuned at factory boost levels, be good to have it tuned on 98 at the max psi you can run these at (12/13/14psi?!) and then that'd let you have the LPG tuned at that boost too which would be sweet.

[URL="http://ozvr4.com/forums/member.php?2040-fieldy107" said:
fieldy107[/URL] ]if I had to drive 200k in an lpg falcon I would want someone to give me $16

hahaha, yeah, it's not very refined, but it rides well and being dedicated LPG with a 119L tank and doing 10L/100k's on the freeway, you can go to sydney and then fill up for $50 :p

RE: Spare wheel it's not illegal if you dont have one.

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Great work, the install does look neat and well thought out. one of the few big problems with the legnum as a daily driver proposition is the very ordinary fuel consumption, good work on tackling that in the manner you have and taking the time to post up the findings.

as you can run it on both gas and petrol there is probably a good chance you can flash tune it like anyone elses, to run hard on petrol and then switch to gas (maybe with slightly less boost for a margin of safety?) for all your daily commuting when you want economy. might require some experimentation here, but at the end of the day, you still have petrol at the flick of a switch if it turns out that gives the best peformance.

yes you have a small weight penalty, but being mostly in the back (and offset by no spare) its probably much less noticible than having a single passenger up front.

im really impressed with this, its not a project for a track car or a weekender machine, but great to see it can be done. keep us updated on any issues etc you find.

cheers

Blue legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joe
Drive
2013 Suzuki Swift Sport , 65 Mustang 351w
The car is going gr8 since getting the conversion done the end of June. It's costing me about $30 to fill up & gets me about 360 km of mixed driving..

I did a 1000 km after the install & went back for them to dyno it but it was breaking down due to the coils failing & misfiring when loading it up!
Never the less they dynoed it for mid range driving & drives quite well! Need to go back for a service @ 20000 km.

Since then I've changed the coils, plugs, inlet manifold gasket etc.. special thanks to Paul (TUFFTR) for giving me a hand! Thanks Adrian (Snuff VR4) for the coils. The car goes harder & doesn't break down/misfire anymore!

I've done about 6000 km so far & couldn't be happier.. The plan from here is keeping the maintance up & at the next service everything checked over & dynoed.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Re: LPG powered VR4 Galant/Legnum's???

I get that many kms from an $80 fill lol, but I still love petrol despite the cost. those are good results, would love to see a dyno power readout.

fassi1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Chris
Drive
Legnum VR4
Old thread but worth refreshing with some valuable data.
green - lpg
red - shell V-Power
Stock manual fl legnum with decat, HKS panel filter, large intercooler.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 95

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
How much boost are you running

Balla1989

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Nick
Drive
1999 VR4 Galant and 1978 Ford XC Ute
Interesting. People were so against this conversion. Humble pie anyone?

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
Not from me, I had dual fuel on my AU Falcon and it was great.

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
How much boost are you running

Looks like 9-10 psi on Lpg & 8-9 psi for petrol.
Both fuels need a good tune up I would say, petrol looks like its a stock map. There is a sizable loss in low end torque/power on LPG. Sadly I would say LPG makes its extra 2 hp from its altered boost and fuel map. Again, both need a good tune to see the differences, otherwise its what you would expect. 160kw atw for quite cheap.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Lpg is 95c/L around here right now... Glad I'm not in my LPG magna any more, but at least dual fuel does let you pick and choose whats cheaper.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Interesting. People were so against this conversion. Humble pie anyone?

People were against it from the point of view of initial outlay vs how long you would own the car for to recoup the investment.

blue_legnum had the car less than a year after the conversion from memory before selling up.

LPG is always around the 99c mark around here. If you want good fuel economy, you've bought the wrong car.
Having said that, I could easily get my Super (the heaviest model) under 10L/100.

fassi1

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Chris
Drive
Legnum VR4
Was running stock boost control at that time. I agree that petrol side wasn't tuned but LPG was tuned. I don't think there is need to throw more fuel than
AFR 12 with stock boost and stock timing advance cause there was no knocking at all so you not gonna achieve any more power by adding any extra fuel.
Mind AFR seen above was taken from tail pipe not from stock O2 sensor area.
The difference is so tiny that it is not really important which fuel gave better result. It only proves that LPG can perform as well as 98 rom.
At the moment there is more modes done to the car and tunning is focused just on lpg so timing advance has been tuned just for LPG when its high octane comes handy. So far done 24K km including 2 track days on LPG and never had any problems.

Top Bottom