Manual Box - Seals to replace?

G

Unregistered
Howdy,
I've got my manual gearbox sitting on the bench at home ready to replace the auto. My question is, what seals and maintanence can I be doing whilst its sitting there, Im sure it'd be all easier whilst its off the car!

Cheers, Bart.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The only thing you need to worry about is replacing the bearing on the input shaft

G

Unregistered
yep,

input shaft bearing and input shaft seal.

you can go all out and do all the bearings but theres no need,
the only common failure items are as above.

also change the crank seal on the motor while the box is out,

be sure to fit a new clutch release bearing,

use the standard VR4 flywheel (machined if second hand)

and a evo 7-9 clutch disk and pressure plate, if you want something that will handle a bit more abuse and there easier to get a hold of,

don't forget to use the manual dust plate. as the auto one is different and you cannot bolt the starter motor in the correct place with the auto one unless you cut it

G

Unregistered
Cheers guys, great advice :)

Any evo clutches you guys can recommend? I want it to be streetable, but I do plan on going as far as i can go on the stock turbos, so around 200-210awkw.

Probly will do a couple of track days/hillclimbs as well.

Cheers, Bart.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
A stock EVO clutch will be ok with those levels of power, or look for a stage 1 aftermarket clutch

G

Unregistered
im using a custom built setup,

rebuilt standard evo 8 clutch cover, uprated to 4400lb clamping force, (stronger than any exedy or act cover you can buy)
with a act 6puk sprung center disk (evo fitment)

its abit on the aggresive side, but i use it as a daily driver.

i would just go with a Heavy duty cover of some sort and a full face disk,
stick with a know brand and you'll be sweet, exedy act ralli-art,

IMO the best bang for buck would be the ACT or Exedy items.

either would be perfect for your needs,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACT-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exed...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

clutch cover disk and release bearing kits bolt on the stock flywheel no issues.

also ive found or a few people that have fitted new HD clutches there clutch slave cylinders have given up, so either refurb your one or get a new one, while its not in use.

a number of people are also using the exedy 7223hd/hdb/hdbc magna clutch kits with no issues. (dont use the stock one).

G

Unregistered
Nice one, i reckon ill just go for a heavy duty full face evo setup, but i do worry about how much torque the VR4 puts out midrange combined with the heavier weight compared to an evo. It wont be too much for it?

G

Unregistered
its no issue at all,

the stock vr4 item can barely deal with it,

the evo one is a better option IMO

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Remember that from factory the VR-4 makes 363nm and EVO8-9's are 420-440nm.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
a number of people are also using the exedy 7223hd/hdb/hdbc magna clutch kits with no issues. (dont use the stock one).

Just for clarification, there's been a few people (including me) problems with the HDCB, but not the others.

G

Unregistered
ok, i stand corrected. what issue have you had with it?

Top Bottom