Mercury Motorsport

G

Unregistered
Hi guys,
I know there is already a long thread about friendly workshops, but I thought this was important and didnt want it to get lost.

I have been dealing with Mercury Motorsport this week after a long search for someone in Brisbane who I felt comfortable taking my sled to.
Mercury have been super professional and didnt try and tell me it needed a rebuild etc. They want to use mine as a guinnea pig so other owners can head somewhere without trepidation. Its not a totally selfless act of course. They want our business naturally, but so far so good. Up to date information, no bullshit and plenty of enthusiasm.

Naturally I will keep you updated when I get it back.
Cheers

G

Unregistered
Yea I have had a car dyno tuned there before and also been to a dyno day there.
They are great and I would highly recomend the QLD Brisbane guy's to have a dyno day there as they have a projector on the wall while the car is on the dyno and you can see the live readout. Its a nice dyno room too.
It was a while ago so I guess the setup is still the same.

StageaDyno-1.jpg

http://www.mercurymotorsport.com.au/

G

Unregistered
Yeah mate all still looks the same. I just had a good feel for Robbie there. Makes a change from."cant do it til after Christmas and you wont get much change from $15k."
Time will tell I guess.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I'll check them out either tomorrow or Monday... i'll check out if they have time to tune my safc.. :D

G

Unregistered
The boys will be at Autosalon. tell em Rob put you onto them.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I went down to Mercury Motorsport this morning to see if they can help me organize getting my Timing belt, bearing and seals done.. the person I spoke to (sorry forgot his name - he was wearing glasses though) said that at this stage he/they can't give me a defnite quote on how much labour it will take to do all the necessary jobs i've asked..

even though he couldn't give me a definite quote on how long it'll take to service my car he showed me a full list that they're doing on a legnum which was already on a hoist. Said that he'll keep me in the loop if how long it'll take to do the job.. I also asked him if whether they can supply parts or if I can supply them if i wish..

first impression was good, made me feel welcome and didn't seem like they're hideous like other workshop (won't mention any company name here)

Jobs I would like them to do on my car..

Timing Belt replacement
Cam & Crank Seals
Waterpump
Thermostat Replacement
Transfer Case Seal Replacement as well (since the other workshop didn't do it.. and if budge fits)
Alternator & PS/AC Belt Replacement
might also get them to install my rocker cover since im a little lazy with it..

last but not least.. they offered to tune my SAFC2 for FREE :)

so when I have the $$$ next week.. i'll book it in straight away..

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
i would be making sure that if you get your car tuned by them that they have tuned other cars using that brand of tuner and that the air fuel ratios are correct before you leave the shop and give it a flog. i had my ma70 supra with a wolf 3d tuned by them and on the way home (2 hr drive) i went to overtake a car and as i did i melted the side of a piston because the engine leaned out to much due to some bad tuning.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
i would be making sure that if you get your car tuned by them that they have tuned other cars using that brand of tuner and that the air fuel ratios are correct before you leave the shop and give it a flog. i had my ma70 supra with a wolf 3d tuned by them and on the way home (2 hr drive) i went to overtake a car and as i did i melted the side of a piston because the engine leaned out to much due to some bad tuning.

ouch.. really?! hhmm do you know specifically if who tuned the car?

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
no sorry i had it done 3 years ago, i'm not saying that you shouldn't use them tho just becareful thats all, like anything with car like ours as most people aren't familiar with them.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
when i had my SAFCII tuned with APC they did mention it had a bit of knock in some RPM even on technically ideal AFR or something like that and had to put it a bit on the richer side (still leaner than factory)

apparently thats waht was getting me just short of 190 :(

Sounds awesome that they would tune for free while its there though - just hope they dont put a trainee on it haha :) or at least that if they do break it, they give a warrenty that gives you some nice new internals lmao

point i spose is if they do tune it shouldnt just be for 'perfect' numbers, but also that it doesnt knock... maybe thats what went wrong with the supra?

G

Unregistered
Pick mine up today. I will report how it all goes. So far they have done a stack of general maintenance belts , etc etc.
Will keep you in the loop.

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
i rang them and told them what happend and they offered to look at it for me but i didn't trust them and it was to far and inconvient so i took it to a wolf dealer on the sunnycoast who took one look at the fuel map and told me it was screwed up. so i've just had it sitting broken till i put a 1jz in it at the start of the year.

G

Unregistered
Well its back
Gotta say it drives like new. Smooth responsive and firm on the road. New cam belts, all seals replaced, plugs etc, brakes and a million other things inc comp and leak down tests.
Stage two is underway now the thing is solid.
Reccomended.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Im going to see Trent (the manager) on Monday morning or Tuesday... see how much he'll service my car for..

G

Unregistered
Rob: Thanks again For the Good Report! Great to finally meet you, haha after the substantial amounts of emails we sent back and fourth!

Look forward to meeting you also Christian

If there is anything we can help with the team at Mercury Motorsport is happy to help

Top Bottom