Mesh in Exhaust??

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Hey i just got the car so am discovering new things all the time, but i just noticed that i have some kind of metal mesh inside my exhaust just before the tip. ie in the silencer part thing. So im guessing this is for noise dampening but i just wanted to know if this would be causing unwanted backpressure or making the car lose a lot of power. Should i take it out??
Any input would be a great help here. Thanks

Oh i should probably mention it has a three inch cat back, with a hks dragger muffler.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I have heard of people doing it before to quieten down the exhaust, how much of a blockage it is will depend on how much mesh is actually in there I guess.

G

Unregistered
does the car feel down on power to suggest this mesh is causing it? if its silencing mesh then it should pull out easy enough plus push back in also.

Give it a tug...whats the worst that could happen :)

Mike Mills

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Well i never drove the car without it in there but doesnt feel to me like im losing power. But anyway, i tried pullin it out of there but it didnt want to budge. So im thinking of leaving it there seeing as i dont want it any louder anyway. Only thing that bothers me is that it could be causing too much backpressure damaging things further up the line. Anyone know if it would be damaging things like the turbo for example???

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Cool, Ill leave it in there for now. It looks very neat and seems to be stuck in there so im thinking it might actually be a part of that particular exhuast or something anyway. Help much appreciated once again guys.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Cool, Ill leave it in there for now. It looks very neat and seems to be stuck in there so im thinking it might actually be a part of that particular exhuast or something anyway. Help much appreciated once again guys.

Pictures would be good, I'm sure someone on here could take a look and let you know if the mesh needs to be there...

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Here is a pic down the exhaust, cant see it but this stuff is also attached to the exhaust on the edges i think. anyway here it is

Attachments

• 21012009129.jpg
    21012009129.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 56

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
WTF???????

That's gotta have more back pressure than my ass does,

Its one constipated exhaust !!!!!!!!

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Steel wool is a common choice for quietening a car exhaust. That looks to be pretty excessive tho. I would rip it out and if it is too loud, put it back in or get a stock exhaust.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Ripped out, turns out there was a whole lot of it in there. Check the pic out. Reset the ecu just in case and then took her out for a drive and it was only slightly louder and seemed to be running smoother. Seemed to rev more freely as well so all up good to have it out. lol.

Attachments

• 21012009130.jpg
    21012009130.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 34

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
LOL, Matt, thats one hell of a butt plug..... i bet the car said thankyou for the proctological examination

LOL @ lee..... :D:D:D only used on outward bound trips, low mileage with very little blow-by :D:D:D

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
No more veins popping in the forehead for your car Matt!:bigsmile: Should flow as well as my dad on the day he discovered prunes.:D

Top Bottom