Misfiring, uneven idle, slight cutouts on acceleration

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Legnum 6A13TT, Galant 6A13
I've recently started getting the symptoms as per title. Idle seems a bit unstable - I can feel the engine does not have smooth RPMs but fluctuates slightly, and has the odd cutout/rpm drop (misfire?).

On acceleration it is not smooth either and can feel a similar misfire happening randomly, sometimes including a spot of knock (CEL on knock) or a bang from the exhaust.

Should I be looking at the spark plugs or coils? If spark plugs are fine then is it time for a COP kit?

Car is tuned on brand new 1000cc injectors from TME Steve.

Oh and the misfiring/hesitation is much worse when I switch fuels to LPG. LPG is undriveable right now due to this.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
how many km's have you travelled with your current spark plugs? I recall when i was still on OE coils, my car sounded like a subaru after a good run and idles erratically.

if they are NGK BKR7EIX's and i you have done at leaset 30k kms on them, I'd be my money on that. If you are using Denso VK's or IK's and you've done similar KM's I think it'll be your coils not being able to provide enough spark causing them to fail prematurely

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Plugs are Denso IK22's. Sounds like that coils and possibly plugs are the culprits here indeed. From what I heard, weak coils can also contribute to premature spark plug failure...

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
I had simillar thing after tune... Changed plugs from NGK to Denso and everything was gone ;)

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Fuel pump is 1 year old, also there is an external fuel reg so that would be all fine. Only element in the fuel-ignition chain that has not been recently changed are the coils. Going to look into it this weekend.

Grid

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomasz
Drive
Plugs look good I guess, tan on one side, slightly sooty on other. Due to things being pig-rich probably.

v_VJGbatjvESCktgANJDphAAZmKjjRpQoMpY5XaNdFpAUWlxcJKIesg5-_Yscbhpf7J8GKzKVE-KRdiYdGg=w557-h990-no.jpg
qKuPv1hpfi5cxGkpoUUpObhOaa1xh1FBxsm42agd7BDWLTfRDcvup5HkmOnbrSxdY5o9tVPvHKlefDggADA=w557-h990-no.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
clean that up. How you will do this, it's up to you, just be careful with the center electrode.

Also I don't think your coils are providing enough sparks as that whole ground electrode should be white-ish in color not black.

Top Bottom