Moisture in the headlights

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Hey guys

I havenoticed moisture in my headlight......what is the best way to get it out and keep it out? There seems to be no cracks in it but gonna had to check

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
suck it out.. :D

happened to my driver side h/light.. dunno.. i just left it.. and it eventually dried up...

Adrian

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 VR4 Legnum
Same here I noticed moisture in my drivers head light just after i brought the car, but dried up that summer and never came back :)

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Mine does it sometimes, just drive with the headlight on as much as you can and it will go away.

Or you can pull it apart and also do the clear blinker mod while you are at it, then just seal it up nice and tight.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
I had the exact same problem with mine.

Unfortunately, sucking the moisture out will not solve the problem as every time it rains or gets cold, it will come back.

What you will need to do is create a small hole underneath the headlight housing to act as a vent.
Take a skinny drill bit and drill one small hole just underneath the indicator section of the headlight housing.
Having this hole will allow all moisture to escape instantly, and you'll never have this problem again.

Don't be alarmed, water will not get in and flood your headlight.
I've drilled two holes in my headlight housing and i've been moisture free for 6 months.

DSCF0356copy.jpg

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
is there any "easy" way to pull them apart,i have some series 2 fogs but one has gross looking stuff inside and i realy want to pull it apart,clean it and seal it better.

but i just cant get the seal apart,it truly is sealed

G

Unregistered
You have to put them in the oven in the same way as the headlights are split or use a heatgun. I would use a oven as it is easier to heat the seal at the same time.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
cheers ill try that tonite then,it just looks mouldy,and im very picky so i want it gone

G

Unregistered
Just try it in the oven for a short time and then test the seal and repeat until it is soft enough to pull apart.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
And here's one I prepared earlier.....

leekscurlock

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lee
Drive
VR4 Legnum
I had water in my fog lights for ages, and once it dried up it left a white residue on the surroundings, so i pulled them apart the other day and gave the a quick scrub down and they they look like new! As the people above have said just stick them in the oven for about 5-7 minutes (or until the black part of the light becomes slightly malleable) at about 110 degrees then using a couple of spoons lift the tabs that hold the lens and the back together and then just gently pry the two apart, and Bobs your uncle. The head lights are just as easy and they look so much better once you have taken the indicator lens out and replace the orange bulb with a chrome one.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
had water in my fog lights for ages, and once it dried up it left a white residue on the surroundings

well thats exactly what has happened to mine then,it must have had water in it a while ago and now its gross

its going in the oven now

G

Unregistered
Is the glue stringy when heated up? Just wondering how easy it will be to make a mess of disassembly.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
Is the glue stringy when heated up? Just wondering how easy it will be to make a mess of disassembly

slightly. and it goes hard again quite quick and is going to be a huge pain in the ass to scrape it all out for when i re-seal it

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea its stringy, like melted cheese. Really do NOT get it on anything - its a huge pain to try to get off, especially if you get it on the lens :(

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
well thats exactly what has happened to mine then,it must have had water in it a while ago and now its gross

its going in the oven now

Yeah that is now the problem I have...need to clean her up now!!

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
This obviously has been tried and tested with the foglight assembly, but does the same rules apply for the headlight?

Top Bottom