My VR4 caught toyota stuck accelerator

5m3g_head

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Earle
Drive
MZ20, V35, JZA61 or VR4
This weekend I changed out my intercooler with one of those autobahn 88 kits. My factory one had a huge leak that I discovered whist trying to find some missing boost.

However when I took the car for a test drive I had a rather unpleasant experience with the car seemingly stuck at 3500rpm. Basically I drove off and as the car was cold kept the rpm pretty low. Probably no higher than 2500. After I while I decided to give it a bit more, and to my shock when I removed my foot from the throttle the RPM didnt drop. I turned the engine off and rolled off to the side of the road. I checked the throttle cable and it wasnt stuck or anything. Upon restarting the engine reved up straight away. I switched it off and had a further look around under the bonnet. I found nothing out of place (Im not a mechanic though) So I started it up again and it all seemed fine. I reved it up and down a few times and no problems. No problems on the way home no matter how hard I reved it and no problems on a subsequent test drive.

I was hope some folks on here may be able to point me in the right direction as to what may have caused this. Id like to investigate it further for obvious reasons.

To make matters worse the new intercooler and piping didn't find the missing boost, It did make the car more responsive and come on boost earlier but still only 5-6psi :(

Fazzle

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony (Fazz)
Drive
S1 Galant
My car did the same thing when I replaced my intercooler. When I was slowing down the car held revs at 3000rpm. I just gave the car a good rev and it fixed the issue and I've had no problems since (about 4 weeks). Usually it is due to a kink in the throttle cable or something although I never touched the cable. I'm not too concerned though as it never did it again...

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
What a strange problem, throttle cable would be the first thing I would have checked too. I'm not sure what else could have done it. I doubt changing the intercooler would trick the computer to hold revs or anything like that.

yoshimitsu9

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stefan
Drive
ae86 sprinter
try loosening off your throttle cable tension. ive had this problem a few times with my ae86 when ive taken off the intake manifold, put it all back together and havent gotten the trottle cable tension correct

Top Bottom