Need a Hand

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Anybody out there with some Galant/Legnum car audio experience wanna give me a hand wiring some parcel shelf speakers in my Galant?

The speakers are already in place, I just can't see any wires to hook them up in my boot. They may just need some speakers wires to attach the speakers to the harness, or not and I could just be talking out of my ass. I've got a soldering iron and can solder, I just need help working out which wires to connect.

The helper will be supplied with beer during the process.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I have bucket loads of car audio experience but yet to do anything on a VR4... Am getting the gear together to do mine but nothing is in yet.
Am more than happy to help out though but sounds like you more need someone who has found the missing wires before...

Suggestion though. Pull your headunit out and see what colours the wires are for your rear speakers. They will be the same colour in the boot.
Or can't you find any wires at all??

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
There are some harnesses and such under the parcel shelf along the top frame of the boot, but no loose wires that I could find. There are two Alpine speakers in the parcel shelf which have never been connected by the looks of it, so I don't know what happened before I owned it.

There must have been an amp in the car at some stage and the old owner just took it all out before he sold it but left the speakers in.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
If im not mistaken the rear speaker wires are grey with black stripe(unfortunately my cars not close enough to check)

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I have bucket loads of car audio experience but yet to do anything on a VR4... Am getting the gear together to do mine but nothing is in yet.
Am more than happy to help out though but sounds like you more need someone who has found the missing wires before...

Suggestion though. Pull your headunit out and see what colours the wires are for your rear speakers. They will be the same colour in the boot.
Or can't you find any wires at all??

I'm going to be at Jon's workshop with the car at about midday Saturday if you're going to be around? I saw you there last time I was there.

Otherwise it can probably wait until tune day next weekend.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Theres a thread listing the stereo speaker wire colours that would help here

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I could possibly get there for a short time in the morning, but from about 11:30am onwards I am out sorry :(

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I could possibly get there for a short time in the morning, but from about 11:30am onwards I am out sorry :(

I'll be there at 11, if the car isn't on a hoist we could be in the boot and Jon in engine bay.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I've rewired my entire audio system so I can't remember the original wires. Is that something you would consider, running new wire from the boot to the head unit?

I would say the loose wires are tucked under the rear seat. It's just 2 bolts and the bottom of the seat comes out.

I'm scheduled to be at Jon's at 4pm Saturday. I can come a little early if you'll still be there then.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I've rewired my entire audio system so I can't remember the original wires. Is that something you would consider, running new wire from the boot to the head unit?

I would say the loose wires are tucked under the rear seat. It's just 2 bolts and the bottom of the seat comes out.

I'm scheduled to be at Jon's at 4pm Saturday. I can come a little early if you'll still be there then.

If I have to rewire it I would consider that. Jon had the rear bench off the other week to do the fuel pump and there were a couple of foreign wires running along the edges but no loose ends. Gotta find them loose ends!

I'm only getting my alternator belt done so I won't be there long, so I wouldn't worry about coming early. Thanks though.

If we're all meeting up tomorrow night maybe we can have a quick look and see if you can recognise anything in the boot. Otherwise it can probably wait until the tune day as everybody will be there.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
looms comes up from drivers side and runs on metal parcel shelf. you'd need to take back seat out - two pull tabs hold bottom part, then 3 x 12mm bolts holds the back on. Need to unhook it from the metal hooks. Christmas tree clips will then get the moulded carpet out and expose the loom.

From memory:

Left speaker: grey/blue and yellow/blue
Right speaker: grey/red and yellow/red

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
looms comes up from drivers side and runs on metal parcel shelf. you'd need to take back seat out - two pull tabs hold bottom part, then 3 x 12mm bolts holds the back on. Need to unhook it from the metal hooks. Christmas tree clips will then get the moulded carpet out and expose the loom.

From memory:

Left speaker: grey/blue and yellow/blue
Right speaker: grey/red and yellow/red

Thanks mate. I'll have a squiz.

I just realised too, that you have the exact same model as me, just in white and with a sunroof from memory.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Another request :huh:

I'm gonna have a crack at installing a boost gauge this weekend. The vacuum line and firewall parts I'm fairly confident with but hooking up the electronics I may need a hand (I can solder and have an iron, but no multimeter so I have no idea which wires to tap). So could someone who has done this before in these cars wanna give me a hand chucking it in this weekend? I can come to you and bring beer.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Did you want it to dim with your dash lights? I hooked mine up so it dims with the dash light dimmer. If you want I can pull it out and have a look at the cables I hooked into.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Does the dimmer have a constant power source?

My gauge needs an earth (which I could probably find), a constant wire and a wire that is only live when the car is on ACC.

G

Unregistered
I put a boost gauge and gauge control unit in the Evo last night. I hooked it all up to the wires for the head unit.
Earth to the wire that screws to the dash
I hooked my positive to the main constant
And I had a wire labelled "IGN Only" that I
hooked to a 12v ignition/switched wire.

It comes on and goes off with accessories and gives a good reading so I guess its okay.

Also instead of cutting and soldering you can get little clips from jaycar and Dick smith and Probably Tandy.You place your two wires inside the clip inside individual grooves, then click it shut.Then there is a tab that clicks down with a kind of blade on it that just bites into the wires enough to get a current and bam, your wires are connected. No soldering,taping,cutting etc. Can't think of the name I will try google.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
They go through the wires insulation? Like a wire tap?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Do you have an aftermarket head unit? Like what was said above, tap into your HU loom, that's what I did.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Do you have an aftermarket head unit? Like what was said above, tap into your HU loom, that's what I did.

Would that not be too far away from where I want the gauge (above drivers side air vent)? The wires that came with the gauge aren't very long.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
It's not hard to extend them. They only need to be about a metre in total once it's all tucked up under the dash.

Top Bottom