Need help - Random smoke from exhaust

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Hey guys I need help!!

Ok when I first got my Galant in May last year I took it to the Test'n'Tune drags a week after I got it. after a few runs I was idling away in the line up standing beside her when I noticed a lil smoke from the exhaust, it wasn't much but still something I kept an eye on. I noticed it a few times in the line up after it had been idling for a while but most the time no smoke. And since then I hadn't really had it idling that long for it to happen again.

But only recently in the last few weeks I did my exhaust and since then Ive noticed a bit more Blue smoke from the exhaust when its idling, but not all the time just mainly if its been idling for a few min's, but also if I've been recently driving, let it idle down a bit before I turn it of, no smoke pressent. Then start it again not long after prob 20min's later and it smokes a fair bit. While it's smoking I tried gving a few revs see what happens and it smokes a lil more but stops after a lil bit of reving and thats it no more smoke.
Lately I've been looking after every time I drive it and no smoke....

A mate of mine recons my valve stem seals are leaking but im not an expert in diagnosing these issues so I was hoping someone else might know more??

Also I havn't tried turning my boost up since the new cooler went on last weekend but it wouldn't let me go past 12psi boost... I have noticed it spike up to 14psi every now and again lately which it never really did with the old cooler, but with the smoking issue i dont really wanna turn it up at all. And I havn't been giving it much pep lately either.

I know my fuel economy isnt the best usually get 320-330km's to 49-50L, and whilest im accelerating no matter how soft or hard when I back off the throttle to hold revs it feels like it decelerates for a second before holding the correct revs...

I'v also checked my oil level, doesn't seem like its dropped at all even before I serviced it a few weeks ago... running nulun 5W-40 oil

Anyone have any ideas what it could be???? I'm hoping for something simple and easy fix but I don't like my chances :(

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
it used to be just white smoke but now its a lil white smoke then starts alot of blue smoke :(

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Hey guys I need help!!
Then start it again not long after prob 20min's later and it smokes a fair bit. While it's smoking I tried gving a few revs see what happens and it smokes a lil more but stops after a lil bit of reving and thats it no more smoke.

This sounds like like your valve stem seals.
Pretty sure there not that hard to replace(head on?), but Im not an expert either.
Is it worse when you leave it for a longer period of time.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Valve stems are a likely candidate, a few members here had theirs with the same issue and resolved after they were looked at. I'm not sure what they did i.e. stem seals maybe. Not sure about the boost / deceleration stuff though.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
yeah starts go smoke out the place if i leave it idle for too long..

Are the valve stems hard to do in chassie or is it better to do as a head removal job?

Top Bottom