FL4SH-VR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Evan
Drive
VR4, 300zx, SV650s
Hi All,

I am in the process of purchasing a VR-4. Hi to all!!

I have a question regarding strat-up of engine when cold. Should the lifters make noise for the first 10 secs or so. I have been told this is quite common on Mitsubishi motors, particularly the Evo engines. Is this correct or is the guy pulling my leg?

Thanks,
Evan

G

Unregistered
Hi mate and welcome to the forums ... yes noisey lifters are common on mitsi motors. U can try using different thickness in your oils to reduce the noise, but some cars seem worse than others ...
What are the details of the car ur looking at ?

FL4SH-VR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Evan
Drive
VR4, 300zx, SV650s
This one..

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/MITSUBISHI/LEGNUM/details.aspx?__sid=11898421D1D0&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCount_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&State=Victoria&distance=25&silo=1003&seot=0&__Nne=20&Model=LEGNUM&R=1812948&__N=4294964597+82+834+285+257+4294957255&Make=MITSUBISHI&state_id=82&trecs=5

I used to drive this..

http://www.aus300zx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266712

But I have a young family now and after extensive research and a few test drives I fell in love with this car! Family practicality and performance to boot. Much nicer car in every respect to that horrid stagea.

G

Unregistered
That link didn't work for me ... What year, kms etc is it ?

G

Unregistered
Looks pretty good. I would only buy a pre-facelift (before 1998) with the leather as the interiors are very old fashioned in the cloth. 65,000kms is pretty good. See if u can get it for $16,000 - $16,500.

G

Unregistered
lifter noise is NOT normal, the cars shouldnt do it,

its caused by sticky/clogged lifters, it happens to mitsi's so its common,

you can try engine flushes and different oils, i would recommend amsoil,

or you can use additives, the only one that really works on mitsi's is
PROMA MB-L8, and will help prevent (not cure) the noise for about 5000km,

or you can take the lifters out and clean them by hand,
or upgrade them to ones with a bigger oil feed.

FL4SH-VR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Evan
Drive
VR4, 300zx, SV650s
Well I picked up a 1997 for 14.5k I'll definitely try your recommendation on the amsoil oil. The car runs really strong and there is no sign of engine wear or any smoke just the pesky lifter noise at start-up. Car has a few light modifications:

ARC Intercooler
POD Filter
Coilover suspension
Turbo back Exhaust
Turbo Timer

Car has done 100k which I tend to believe over some of the other imports. There is no sign of rust under the body. Here are some pics..

2823141.jpg

2823134.jpg

2822898.jpg

2822893.jpg

2822862.jpg

2822822.jpg

Interested to hear your thoughts..

Cheers,
Evan

G

Unregistered
You got Black leather ? rare as hens teeth. well done!
As Gly said use amsoil ... but don't go too thin ... I went for a very thin oil and my lifters carry on a bit. I'm going to try a thicker oil next time ...

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
That's a "Car Of The Year" (COTY) model - special edition VR4, the only one released with Black Leather. With the Mods you listed, the price of $14,500 is pretty good even if its 100k on the clock ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
COTY's are nice indeed. As for the lifter noise, it is pretty normal, most cars will either do it the whole time, or do it a few thousand km's after the oil change.

I've got Amsoil 0w30 in mine and it is great, hasn't ticked on startup at all apart from on very cold days, and I think it is only one lifter that is screwed.

FL4SH-VR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Evan
Drive
VR4, 300zx, SV650s
Thanks very much for your assistance guys. Very helpful forum here.

Top Bottom