New wheels; opinions, photoshop welcome.

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
Jeez i feel like i was caught stealing a cookie out of the jar with that response... lol

I would love to buy genuine wheels but when I see their prices then I cringe. Where can you find 2nd hand XD9's or GT-C's that are around these prices?

I am curious on offset as I don't want wheels sticking past the guards; nor do I want wheels way inside. I am not interested in getting guards rolled tho, if i can get away with it

so whats the choices..

- fake GT-C's
- fake XT7's
- fake mutated Emotions

i hope they are going on a fake vr4 lol.

seriously just go genuine wheels. they arnt that much more expensive, actually cheaper if 2nd hand. in the long run they will last longer and wont need repairs.

oh and how is stock suspension and offset a concern? these are very important.. u cant just chuck on anything, u need wheels that actually correctly FIT.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I would love to buy genuine wheels but when I see their prices then I cringe. Where can you find 2nd hand XD9's or GT-C's that are around these prices?
I would love genuine JDM style wheels, but at 3-4k for a set without tyres? my god, I'm not that rich lol.. That money can go in to so much more elsewhere on my car or in my life lol

I paid $2200 for my wheels with tyres, they're not 'fakes' but theyre also not JDM lol

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I would love genuine JDM style wheels, but at 3-4k for a set without tyres? my god, I'm not that rich lol.. That money can go in to so much more elsewhere on my car or in my life lol

I paid $2200 for my wheels with tyres, they're not 'fakes' but theyre also not JDM lol

That's just the thing though, my wheels (lower end of the Japanese market) were $1,150 delivered to my door. Japanese wheels are not always all that expensive. You'll be able to get Work Emotions etc at less than $2k easily second hand if you just look around and wait til the right thing comes up. The going rate for ones with crappy offset (+35 etc) on ns.com is about $1,200-$1,600. Hell, brand new they're only $2,500 delivered, even with the terrible exchange rate.

To give you an idea of what you can find, before I found out my Silvia was going to need some expensive work, I was looking at a set of 18x9 +4 & 18x10 +4 VIP style rims from Japan, used, with decent tyres, $1,800...

And it is always cheaper to buy what you really want rather than getting a set of wheels "that will do for now" and upgrading later.

When you think about the fact that wheels are the most important visual element of your car, $2,000-$2,500 doesn't seem like much to spend.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
workxd95-1143188028mgm.jpg

Work Emotion XD9, 18x8 +28 (near perfect offset), brand new, $2,280.

Took me about 3 minutes to find them.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Holy shit they're beautiful!!

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Jeez i feel like i was caught stealing a cookie out of the jar with that response... lol

I am curious on offset as I don't want wheels sticking past the guards; nor do I want wheels way inside. I am not interested in getting guards rolled tho, if i can get away with it

lol sorry dude, its the wheel nazi coming out of me.

sus out this site..
http://www.j-imports.com.au/uWheels.htm

i got my SSR SP1's thru him for 2K. where brand newies are 3800. and also were in very good condition.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
yeah ive been susing the XD9's. but personally i woudlnt coz they seem to be done to death atm. was also looking at the XT7's, which look awesome on evos with +15 offset. but yeah they aint gona fit a vr4.

but for those who are interested, go on ns.com, and go to the sponsor JDM Concept.. or something like that. they have the entire range of work wheels in all sizes.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Yeah I was thinking about XD9s for the Sil but can't really justify them over D1Rs to be honest - similar weight, similar look and half the price. I'm still considering XT7s though.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
nuh dont cheap out on rims when the whole car is basically finished. coz then u will wana change them again. get something ur happy with and be done with it. plus those cheapy rims dont last too long till they get buckled by a pot hole.

XT7's look awesome in low offset..

bc2.png

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
That's just the thing though, my wheels (lower end of the Japanese market) were $1,150 delivered to my door. Japanese wheels are not always all that expensive. You'll be able to get Work Emotions etc at less than $2k easily second hand if you just look around and wait til the right thing comes up. The going rate for ones with crappy offset (+35 etc) on ns.com is about $1,200-$1,600. Hell, brand new they're only $2,500 delivered, even with the terrible exchange rate.

To give you an idea of what you can find, before I found out my Silvia was going to need some expensive work, I was looking at a set of 18x9 +4 & 18x10 +4 VIP style rims from Japan, used, with decent tyres, $1,800...

And it is always cheaper to buy what you really want rather than getting a set of wheels "that will do for now" and upgrading later.

When you think about the fact that wheels are the most important visual element of your car, $2,000-$2,500 doesn't seem like much to spend.

At the time that I got my wheels, they were perfect for the style I was going for.. I wasn't going for a 'panda' theme or a full JDM style car.. Just this clean subtle cruiser look..

But yeah, that changed months after having my car when I got the CF bonnet.. So now I'm in search of new wheels and gotta sell of my current ones some how..

Sucky thing, I can't afford to buy new wheels and put my old ones up for sale, I have to sell first :( LOL

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Sucky thing, I can't afford to buy new wheels and put my old ones up for sale, I have to sell first :( LOL

Maybe someone near you has a set of stock wheels leftover that you can borrow for a while? It's been done before.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
I have a set of stock wheels at home hehehe..

I think I'll put my current rims on Ebay, see if someone will pick them up for $1200-1500 or something.. That'll cut down the cost of new wheels heaps!

Then I want those Work XD-9's!

YGOSLO where did you find them for $1280?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Sorry to restart an old thread but i was just wondering why work emotion cr kai's are so much cheaper than other jap wheels. I really like them and you can get them from perfectrun.com.au for like 350 a wheel in 18". Which is a lot cheaper than other wheels. There's no floors with the design or anything is there.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
They're fine, just the low-end Work Wheels line. Won't find a problem with the quality. Remember though that the prices quoted don't include freight.

You should go with the 9.5 +30 and do guard work. CR Kais look pretty weak unless they're the deep taper versions.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
yeah i want the deep taper ones. but i didnt think 9.5's would fit. Wouldnt it stick out heaps.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
the work emotion cr kai's are now done to death, hence why not many people opt for them anymore, and retailers lowering the price to clear them.

personally i dont mind them. i wouldnt got a 9.5" on a vr4 seeing how fiddley it will be to make them fit. 9's would be perfect in a +35ish offset.

Top Bottom