Newbie mod assistance

G

Unregistered
Hey guys

Im Brett and about a month ago I got into my first import. Yep a 99 Legnum :)

I guess my first question will show my lack of knowledge but im really hoping to learn a lot from you guys and apologise in advance for fresh fish naivety.

So my leggy is stock. I have recently put in a pod filter which actually made a fair difference.. for a guy thats never driven with one before >.< felt lighter and a little better in acceleration

Um my thoughts have been with the piping under the hood.. im hoping most know or have seen the stock bay. its has more of fabric system underneath and i was wondering if someone could explain in lamens terms

Would stainless steel piping give any real improvements to the overall ride? I have read about people using steel piping to gain more of a "flutter" effect but i want to know is there any gains??

Much appreciated

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Hi Brett,
Welcome mate, fist off, I would suggest coming along to a car wash meet on a Wed night, you can ask a lot of questoins there and see some pretty serrious mods in the flesh rather than wait for people to reply to your post.

Alos I would suggest using the search button, most (if not all) these questions have alreadt been asked, and all the info will be on here somewhere. :)

Check the Vic section under the car wash heading, hope to see you there.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I wouldn't worry about the hard piping straight away. Just up the boost, it's better :D

As for the pod, what model did you use? Just keep in mind that in traffic the pod will be sucking in lots of hot air which isn't good.

G

Unregistered
Oh hey guys thanks heaps for that :)

Yeah ill definitely have a look for that car wash meet i think it would be pretty beneficial

Oh its just a stainless blitz Brad... Hmm actually... didnt think of that... my travels to and from work are along the freeway which isnt too congested when i leave and return... but if you have suggestions im all ears

Cheers guys

Hope you had a good new years!!!

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
A lot of the guys on here swear by the standard panel box with a K+N Hi flo filter, which seems to give a bit of a gain over a standard air filter. Good option, at least until you can get a proper Cold Air Intake hooked up. Im pretty sure the pod filters make the car run rough as Mitsubishi use a airflow sensor that doesn't like the swirl of air the pod produces. So ditch the pod and go the panel filter, for now at least.

G

Unregistered
Hey yeah ive read up on a few more posts about this and it does seem like i could kepp the stock box and change the filter to yeah perhaps a K&N or ralliart... Even if it doesnt feel like the Blitz pod is causing many problems, would it still be more beneficial to put on the box and new filter for now???

Until i get my head around a what a new air intake would entail?

G

Unregistered
just adding to this thread coz im also quite a noob.
sorry if these questions can be answered else where. i did look for a while for answers.
as far as i know my car is standard with a 2.5" exhaust and air intake. but im looking at getting a boost controller and winding the boost up to a safe level. the car is manual so im guessing a safe level would be around 12.5psi? and can the standard front mount, fuel pump, injectors, ecu handle it safely? or any other things to worry about before cranking the boost up?

thanks alot for any advice. just dont wana break anything as soon as i get it.....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Just wind it up until you hit fuel cut, then back it off a bit. Normally that happens at 12-15psi.

G

Unregistered
ok cheers. hopefully i will have a dual stage electronic getting tuned into it so maybe just keep it at 12psi so i dont fry anything and go back to the mechanics

Top Bottom