Noise (grinding) from front left wheel??

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue.

This just started yesterday. When I drive between 0-about 40km/h there is a grinding noise coming from the front left wheel. Once I get passed 40km/h the noise disappears but when I slow down again below 40km/h the noise comes back.

Driven Motorsport isn’t open today so I’m not able to take my car to Jon to get checked out so meanwhile I thought I would ask around here to see if anyone might know what the issue is.
Unfortunately I haven’t had the time to take the wheel off to check it out.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Bearing? Does it get worse when doing right hand turns?

How load is it? Can you feel it through the steering wheel?

G

Unregistered
I had a similar mouse that I thought to be a bearing, it became worse under left hand turns.
Checked shafts, all arms and joints, bearings etc,
My noise was caused by collapsed engine mounts allowing the engine to shift and vibrate, causing the noise to seem like it came from the wheel.
Fixed with new mounts and hasn't returned.
May not be your problem but if all else fails to turn up a result check that.

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
It doesn't get worst when turning left or right. The noise is constant whether going straight or turning.

Just thinking about it, there's a chance that it could be the engine mount. I did notice only a week ago that I could feel the engine mounts deteriorating.

G

Unregistered
Check your mounts to be sure, it eluded me as the source of the problem for weeks.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I have a similar noise and noticed my engine mounts were ruined so this may be my issue as well. Have a new set on the way to replace them.

Despite me taking the gearbox out to get to the bottom of the noise I'll be happy if it turns out to be this. As it will be fixed haha.

Mine only makes said noise when decelerating or coasting though, under acceleration it goes away.

96vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
AJ
Drive
Legnum with twin GT25R upgrade.
Mine makes a whining sound when deccelerating.. Mounts are all new. Any ideas what that may be?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
From personal experience whines are normally gear mesh related. But it's hard to say.

daneosaur

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dane
Drive
1998 EC5W Legnum
I have a grinding/vibrating issue as well, and my mechanic says it's a wheel bearing, but I also know that my transmission mount has a small tear in it (when it was pressed in) and the roll stoppers are fingered. Got a poly mount set on the way, hopefully that fixes it

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Id say go with the simpliest first.. check the rotor dust shield and see if it is barely touching..

But then again that might be more of a squealing sound..

But might be worth to check out..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom