Car wont start and makes grinding noise

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hey guys!

Need your help. This morning my car wont start and it makes this grinding noise (not cranking noise or the clack or click noise).

I didn't have a chance to fully check it coz I was on my way to work and running late.

Do I have a flat battery or something worst? I know a car that have a flat battery which makes a clack or click noise but mind is grinding noise and its worrying me.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Grinding noise may indicate start motor is mc-phucked. Flat batter is a very fast "clack clack clack" of the solenoid operating but not enough volts to turn the start motor. OR if you are hearing a high pitched spinning/grinding, I'd think starter motor is stuffed.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If it is a manual you could try push starting it I guess

Lee is most likely right though.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Thanks guys!

After after pondering in front of the car what is wrong with it, I forgot to do the simpliest thing, to do a voltage meter test and well, it turns out that I have a flat battery. LOL

So, grabbed my charger and charge it for 4hrs and the car starts and so charged it overnight.

Oh, the size of my battery is the size of tissue boz which came with the car from Japan ahahaha.

So, which CCA is best for our cars?

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Don't you think it is funny with all the stuff they crammed into the engine bays and they leave a huge space for a battery and then put the smallest one I've seen in a car in there? Funny things those Japanese do.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i recently put in a 750CCA yellowtop.. bit bigger than i originally wanted but meh. it works.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
how much is the yellowtop these days?

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Gonna bring that giant spoon and fork that's currently hangin on my wall. Ahahaha

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You guys are crazy... :banghead:

RE battery, Mitsubishi specify 520CCA as the recommended spec. Yes, that means just about every car in Japan is running a battery WELL below-spec. I guess they just run what fits, as larger batteries won't fit the tiny little terminals Mitsi equip them with from the factory.

There's quite an extensive battery discussion elsewhere - as always, refer to your good friend Mr Search Button :)

Top Bottom