Help! Car wont start

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Hey all. Just washed the car and i also thought i would empty a can of degreaser on the engine. Left it for 10-15 then hosed it down now the car will not start. It turns over and aver and over with only the occasional "cough" i have spent about halfa with a hair dryer trying to dry out plugs but still no avail. Any idea where i should start concentrating on drying?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It's almost night time, just leave it overnight and have a crack at it in the morning!

If you really want to do things tonight, pull out all of the cables and connectors around the throttle body, the coil packs, the cable going in the maf and dry them all out.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
I think i might do that Brad. Just kicked over but it sounds like it is running on one or two cylinders tops. It conked out after 30sec of that

cam1754

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
cameron
Drive
1996 galant vr4
its happened to me before and i used an air compressor to blow out water from hard to reach places. seemed to work, then took it for a quick drive and after that was fine.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Well so far still no good. I have spent about an hour with a hair dryer to no avail.
I have it parked in my garage with the bonnet up and the engine cover off. I will leave it until the morning and give it another crank and hope for the best, if it still wont fire i will go through as Brad said and remove all major plugs and coil packs.
At the moment i am surprised my battery is still cranking it over but i have to be careful as i have noticed on my SAFC volt meter that, it still sits on 12.0v but when cranking it drops under 10.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Woo hoo, car starts!!
Oh and the engine bay looks sweet!

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Excellent news

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Just needed to dry out a little. Now it's time to find out what got so wet so that next time you wash the engine bay you can cover it up.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Well i reckon coil packs, they were sitting in a puddle of water practically. It's just weird it has never happened before. Probably a placebo effect as the car is really clean as to the engine bay, but seems to be going better lol

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
lol, i've had my VR4 for almost a year and never degreased the engine bay! (although it's still pretty clean) You said in the other thread you'd done yours four times trev, was it really filthy or something or have you just got OCD :p

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Trevor.

A mechanic once told me that when degreasing your engine, you should cover the alternator in a plastic bag, spray on the degreaser and then start the car and keep it running whilst you spray off the degreaser. Apparently this helps avoid the problems that you've had.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Crank angle sensor's aren't terribly partial to water either.... There's really a lot of things it could've been but as long as its now working it don't matter :)

Top Bottom