Noise/Rattle/Squeaky List of Problems

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
Hi ALL, :bigsmile:

I've been having this squeaky almost high pitch sounds coming from somewhere left hand side of the car and inside the engine bay. Sounds like somthing loose and rattles. Been looking for 1 week still couldnt find it :001_mad:, and it only happen on bumpy road, the noise is totally gone on smooth road/freeway.

Can anyone list the problems they had so far and how you all found the noise from and how to fix it?

I will update the thread and listed all the problems, I thought it'll be good for everyone next time they found this noises.

Cheers :)

Bonnet support rubbers.
Fixed: Try to rotate and adjust them.

Suspension assembly.
Fixed:Lube all the appropriate parts

Loose car Jack.
Fixed: Make sure its tight

Rattle on right tie rod when turning.
Solution: ....

high pitched buzzing rattle behind cabin trim or front door passenger side.
Solution: ....

G

Unregistered
Bonnet support rubbers? Try rotating them out a turn or two.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
thnks, that might be one of the reason, will try that later.
I put that on the list.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I have that squeak too, albeit very very quiet, good suggestion :)
My front left shock were making a metal on metal squeaking noise when I first got the Legnum. Happened for like 3 months and no mech (or me) could figure it out. I even got new exhaust hangers but didn't solve the problem. Eventually a Mitsi apprentice (of all people) had a look at the front left shock and had a little fiddle and lubed the appropriate parts and I haven't heard the noise for 9 months, thankfully as I was just about to be conned by Pedders into buying new shocks.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
thnks mortz will try to lube my suspension housing too then, will update the list again

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
Guys

Just found another lame rattle, and i think this might happen often to any other cars as well.

Unsecured Jack on rear boot. Overtime this might come loose or someone did not tightened it properly.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
currently got a rattle on the right tie rod/end.. happens when i do a lefty.. weird.. its due for wheel balance and align.. will get it booked next week for it and get it checked, it'll have to be after I swap out the bouncy tanabe's...

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I've got a high pitched buzzing rattle from somewhere behind the cabin trim above or in front of the door on the front passenger side, only on roads with the right sort of coarse surface (which is about 25% of my driving). It's annoying as hell and I can't figure out where it comes from.

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
currently got a rattle on the right tie rod/end.. happens when i do a lefty.. weird.. its due for wheel balance and align.. will get it booked next week for it and get it checked, it'll have to be after I swap out the bouncy tanabe's...

I also had that rattle when i just got my car from japan, only happened when i making a turn.
But after I jacked the car up few times to do tranny oil service and other things, that rattle went away by it self...weird..

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
Loud squeaky metal/rubber noises from front and rear suspension area, first started when you turn the wheels now it does it while driving along bumps etc. Both fronts and rears.

I have Tein 'super master cool' or something coilovers.

Didnt do it when i first got the car 3 months ago, then i adjusted the coilovers (height and adjusted from engine bay) and lubed some joints with TF2 Teflon spray, but the thing is - i only touched the front, the noise comes from the back now, and I havent touched the back (i did try to adjust the back left coilover height and used the TF2 Teflon to help crack the seal on the lock ring but never worked).

I have been told it might be the control arms?

Help me! Its REALLY embarrassing to drive...

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Loud squeaky metal/rubber noises from front and rear suspension area, first started when you turn the wheels now it does it while driving along bumps etc. Both fronts and rears.

I have Tein 'super master cool' or something coilovers.

Didnt do it when i first got the car 3 months ago, then i adjusted the coilovers (height and adjusted from engine bay) and lubed some joints with TF2 Teflon spray, but the thing is - i only touched the front, the noise comes from the back now, and I havent touched the back (i did try to adjust the back left coilover height and used the TF2 Teflon to help crack the seal on the lock ring but never worked).

I have been told it might be the control arms?

Help me! Its REALLY embarrassing to drive...

I feel ur pain; sounds like mine. Even Fulcrum couldn't find anything.... :(

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
I feel ur pain; sounds like mine. Even Fulcrum couldn't find anything.... :(

Dang...

Do you still have the problem? Its not just worn rubbers is it?

Im going to take it into pedders soon if i get time...

Would it be dangerous to drive on?

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Dang...

Do you still have the problem? Its not just worn rubbers is it?

Im going to take it into pedders soon if i get time...

Would it be dangerous to drive on?

Fulcrum said they suspected bush-bound rubbers. But after loosening them and spraying with lube; made no difference after a day. It is more a metal banging sound like a cooler pipe hitting something; or gearbox hitting a broken housing bracket.

Annoys the shit out of me. :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Brett, have you tried spraying wd40 on your coilover's spring seat?

try that, if the sound goes away, then I think you have the same issue as mine..

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Brett, have you tried spraying wd40 on your coilover's spring seat?

try that, if the sound goes away, then I think you have the same issue as mine..

Thanks mate, unfortunately I had the noise way before I even ordered the TEINs. This was the reason I got coilovers.... amongst others ;)

I am convinced it is gearbox/transfer case related. Like a mount or bracket or something. But I don't have ramps yet; so until then. Turn up the music =) All in all; I have had 3 workshops and a suspension shop look over it. No one found anything. Starting to think its just 'character' with the car.

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
BUMP:

I think i found my noise issue. Just had a look at the steering rod joint bushing. Its absolutely mangled. On both sides. I dont know where to find the part number, so maybe someone can direct me to the correct thread or post it, that would be lovely!

Also, with the TEIN's or coilovers in general, is it normal for the bottom half to move back and forth when steering left or right?

drez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dre
Drive
Galant type S 2000
James how did you see your steering rod joint bush? is it easily accesible?

Im still trying to find this rattling noise coming somewhere from the boot, even at low speed.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
+1 me 2... further info.... or even better.. pictures?

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
I have pictures on my phone, I will upload them asap. Will have to use the process of elimination with this noise issue...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Tim: Mad rattles from the boot lid for no apparent reason.
Fixed: Turn up the music.

Top Bottom