frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
My car idle seems extremely low... as in 400 - 450rpm, and at times lower... sometimes almost to the point of stalling after the revs go back down. I noticed this severely yesterday when i actually used the air conditioning, but it does still idle quite low... or is this normal.

How can i adjust the idle to be slightly higher, im assuming there is a screw on the throttle body or something?

Thanks... I searched first but found nothing useful :D

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I would suggest an ECU reset - as the idle is no doubt controlled electronically.
Disconnect your battery for at least 5 minutes.
Reconnect.
Start engine (do not touch the throttle).
Let the car idle for a few minutes.

Drive as normal.

If symptons persist, please see your doctor.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I thought that idle was 650rpm judging by the sticker on the inside of the bonnet? Yep, definitely an ECU reset that will right itself eventually.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
Yeah mine was the same dude, i thought it was something to do with the heat we're having down in SA at the moment, but talked to a mate and did what these lads are suggesting...disconnect the battery terminals, foot pressed down on the brake for round 30 seconds to make sure all the powers gone then hook the battery back up, start it and it should eventually find a nice idle level...mines at 1,400-1,500 which i think is normal. If that doesnt work just go easy on the climate control.

G

Unregistered
mines at 1,400-1,500 which i think is normal.

:confused:

1,400-1,500 seems pretty damn high to me. My Legnum idles at 800rpm without any drama what-so-ever, even with the air con on. Even the GTiR with it's MAP sensor and Haltech E8 idles at 1,000rpm. Anything higher than that seems a little out of the ordinary.

What is everyone else getting?

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Pretty certain mine is as high as Justins, around 1400rpm.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
Yeah you have a point, i was just happy it wasnt borderline stalling anymore haha. Might have to do the old ecu reset again and see if it changes

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
hmmm i think whats happening is the last time i ECU reset, i had it running a while with heavy overfuelling... and bad idling... when i had my pipe off and was 'broken down'

G

Unregistered
If you have idle issues then check the idle screw and play around with it as after installing the bigger exhaust mine started to idle lower and even stalled.
The idle screw on the leggy is a few centemeters from where the air goes into the throttle body.
There is a small rubber cap and once removed with a flat head screw driver then you just turn it at half turn intervals till you see the idle go up to the propper 650.
Hope this helps guys.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Mine idles at around 600 or so and I thought that was kinda high....I am obviously wrong...

G

Unregistered
wow, it shouldnt idle at 1400-1500 thats way too high, what every one is saying with 650-800 thats about right but 1400 is massive. try ecu reset or idle controll screw as adam said.. if your idle is going up and down every few seconds its a idle control solinoid but i doubt its that.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
they normally start at 1500rpm or so, then drop down to 600-700rpm once they are warm.

do a search for idle stepper motor on cvr4 and you'll find heaps of results about this problem.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
they normally start at 1500rpm or so, then drop down to 600-700rpm once they are warm.

once again Brad is correct! I went and tested mine tonight, started at about 1350rpm, went for a drive round the block, by the time i returned, at idle, it was sitting on about 650rpm.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I find mine idles at around 800-900 with the climate control on and around 600 normally.

Bet you're loving your aircon right now gilly!!:eek:

G

Unregistered
when cold dont most cars rev high then settle after a few mins? anyway good luck fixing the problem.

G

Unregistered
mine starts with 1500-1750 rpm then slowly going down to around 750 rpm

G

Unregistered
what to do iif you have 900rpm with warm engine and cannot adjust the idle screw anymore? new idle stepper motor?

Top Bottom