Normal behaviour for stock radiator when tuned

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Yeah but your fans should be going before then right?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Yeah but your fans should be going before then right?
Hard to say as the AC always kicks in one of the fans regardless of engine temp. I've never heard the main fan kick in.

In the driveway, the winner radiator and thermostat were able to keep the car at the normal operating temperature even for sustained periods, without the main fan coming on. Mind you I can't recall if I've ever idled the car without the AC on, so there would have always been some airflow due to the AC fan.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
both fans should kick in when you turn your a/c on

also bigger rad = more fluid.. which also mean you need faster way of cooling it down.. that's what I found anyway..

stock radiator fans may be enough to cool down the thicker radiator on normal days.. but not for track days or extended period of spirited driving...

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
both fans should kick in when you turn your a/c on

also bigger rad = more fluid.. which also mean you need faster way of cooling it down.. that's what I found anyway..

stock radiator fans may be enough to cool down the thicker radiator on normal days.. but not for track days or extended period of spirited driving...
Makes sense.
Might pay to invest in some bigger fans for next summer.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
my plan is to have 1x 16" pull type with custom shroud to cover the whole radiator and 1x 12" push type (currently have 10" and is not enough)

or 2x 14" pull types

just not sure on clearance on the driver side

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I think shrouds are important, I have slimline fans but I'm pretty sure the factory fans were probably more effective, mainly due to the shrouds, pulling air through the whole radiator rather than just 2 circles...

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I think shrouds are important, I have slimline fans but I'm pretty sure the factory fans were probably more effective, mainly due to the shrouds, pulling air through the whole radiator rather than just 2 circles...
Correctamundo

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive

My slim ones have a shroud, they're dual 12" (Flexalite 420), plenty of clearance but possibly on the small side but she's seen plenty of dyno time without fuss so that's a win in my book.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
O RLY? Hmmm...so perhaps my fan is busted. Yay, another expense!

Yeah could well be, found mine busted during servicing before I eventually replaced it and the rad.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Anyone know the cfm rating of the OEM fan assembly??

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I think if you have a 16" pull type fan and have a proper shroud fabricated, you could pull this off

16" FAL fans are rated at 2500cfm. almost twice the cfm our stock does..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Spal fans are good. I'd look at how to force air through at speed as well. The air that hits the front of the car has to get through your grille, then intercooler, then ac condenser, then finally radiator (after the others heated it up btw). Why not just go around all that? path of last resistance etc so blanking plates are a good thing.

The fans shouldn't even be needed at speed if it's designed right and they certainly don't move air at 100kph.

But if you're seeing the gauge go anywhere over half, it's running damn hot. Stock stat should be fully open at 80ish degrees and the fans are coming on at 91 and ramping up from there.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
But if you're seeing the gauge go anywhere over half, it's running damn hot. Stock stat should be fully open at 80ish degrees and the fans are coming on at 91 and ramping up from there.

Time for a new thermostat for starters then.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
ask for the colder thermostat.. don't get the billion 65°C..

you'll regret it.. if you ask why.. your ISC keeps the idle up.. hence economy also gets sh1tty

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
You want the engine at 75+ish. In evos that's 82 from memory. Everything including boost control is different below that.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
I recall the colder one (P/N: MD317015) being a 77 degree, has been talk on here about it in the past.

My bumper is now in need of a respray so also going to have my Evo 7 vents fitted which should assist some with the airflow.

Top Bottom