[NZ] Pre facelift Galant w/ Evo 7 Wheels?

jb2815

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jono
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
I've read the "offsets" sticky and had a look at other threads but can't find the info I'm after.

On the spur of the moment the other night I bought a set of Evo 7 wheels fitted with Yokohama S-Drive 235/45/R17 94w tyres to replace the 16" 5 spoke factory wheels.

I took them down to a tyre shop (Mag warehouse in Palmerston North) to get aligned and balanced and the guy said they were too wide on the front and wouldn't pass a warrant. He then wanted to sell me a set of 215/45/R17, even put one on the mag and fitted it to the car. Made a bit of a difference, but not much which he reckoned would be fine.

They feel awesome and seem to clear everything, except stick out about an inch from the guards.

Question is, has anyone else in NZ got a similar setup, and will it pass a warrant because I don't want to muck around swapping wheels, or having to buy new tyres. Was the guy trying to make a quick buck?

Heres a photo (hopefully)

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 67

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I've got Evo 8 rims on my pre-facelift and the fronts only stick out about 1cm at the most. I don't have a clear pic of it, but I will take one tomorrow after I wash the car :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've had EVO 7, 8, and 9 wheels on my various VR-4's, basically you need to lower the car a bit and the tyre will tuck in a bit and you'll be fine. At stock ride height an EVO7-9 wheel will stick out a bit.

I would keep the 235's still though.

jb2815

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jono
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
A couple of people now have suggested to get about 5mm machined off to pull them in a bit..

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
225/45/17 will fit without lowering it at all...

I had a wof done at Mitsi with evo 8 rims with 225/45/17's on my old leggie no probs. :)

J

jb2815

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jono
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
I've noticed the tyres are very close to the rear suspension arms (?) and when going at speed over certain bumps in the road there is a bit of scraping/rubbing from the back. From the looks of the tyre, it appears to be slight rubbing on the inside of the tyre and nothing on the outside, would this indicate the arm is the problem and not the guards?

Would 225 size tyres fix this, and would 45 or 40 be better..?

Cheers

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Go a 40 profile - 45s look a bit silly. Not sure about your scrubbing problem, someone else will be able to help you there.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
225/45/17 will fit without lowering it at all...

I had a wof done at Mitsi with evo 8 rims with 225/45/17's on my old leggie no probs. :)

J

True, but who (other than Tom :p) could tolerate driving a VR4 at stock height?

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
I have the same wheels and tyres on my 2000 vr4. Found that the rear inner of the tyre was rubbing on the shocks when i went over bumps and had a people in the back, I also have adjustable suspension so was just a matter of raising the car a little which fixed the problem.
But i dont seem to have the problem with the fronts at all, probally because of the suspension aswell.

Attachments

• P1010163 web.JPG
    P1010163 web.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010165 web.JPG
    P1010165 web.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 29

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Going with 225/40/17 is stupid, that is heaps smaller than the stock size. If you must go smaller, then go with 225/45/17.

235's shouldn't be scraping any suspension component on a VR-4 with EVO wheels, either the tyre is a bit of a strange size or something isn't right on your car

jb2815

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jono
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
I did a scientific test of loading a few of the boys in the car, 2 in the back 2 in the front about 90kg each. Definite rubbing on the rear guard, but only on the rear drivers side for some reason, so that must be the problem. The guy at the shock place said cars can have a bit of a natural dip on the drivers side, so I went down the road and got a quote to roll the rear guards for $135, will have a think about that and probably get it done.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Oh so it is hitting the guard and not the strut? Yeah, fair enough, just give the guards a slight roll and you're done. They would need such a minor roll that you could do it yourself with a jack handle.

jb2815

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jono
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Yeah, definitely on the rear right guard. Can see it clearly on the outer edge of the tyre. I thought I saw a bit of rubbing on the inside when I initially posted, which was pretty minor. If rolling these will fix the problem, then I'll keep the 235's and won't have to try anything else... not sure about trying it myself though! :D

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
oh yeah, forgot to mention that ive had my guards rolled, but there is alot of clearence between the guard and the wheel.
I do woundering if the camber on mine has been adjusted, as i when i brought the car it came with 235/35/r19.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Tim I ran the old leggie at std height for all 3 years of ownership... lol

I have had the galant at std height for over a year now, but only want to do my cert once, so that wont happen for a while lol...

J

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi

Oi, which Tom? :LOL:

I'll lower mine eventually when funds persist hehe or do you mean one of our foreign Toms lol

Top Bottom