Paddle shift

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Has anyone considered adapting a paddle shift to the steering wheel? I would imagine it is just a case of connecting the microswitches in parallel with an additional set. Any ideas?

G

Unregistered
there is an evo GT-A in perth with a paddle shift setup.. apparently it was a kit.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
I would be interested in seeing that. I would think it would be easy to set up electronically with our cars but not sure about the mounting etc.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
there is an evo GT-A in perth with a paddle shift setup.. apparently it was a kit.

I wonder if the evo 7 GTA steering wheel fits the VR4 spline? I know it's not a paddle shift but it's still a gear control at the finger tips. Wouldn't be hard to splice.:)

G

Unregistered
i think 7 onwards have a different spline to vr4's...

i'd prefer a set of paddles that are in a fixed position, rather than ones that rotate with the steering wheel too...

G

Unregistered
i think 7 onwards have a different spline to vr4's...

i'd prefer a set of paddles that are in a fixed position, rather than ones that rotate with the steering wheel too...

I think there designed more for racing so you don't have to take your hands off the wheel to change gears during a light corner.

G

Unregistered
considered it myself, the fixed type like mitchy wants would be dead easy but the one that turns with the wheel is much harder because you have to make some sort of horn hub with about 3 or 4 separate connections....

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I use the s/wheel gears on my missus GT-A. I think it is OK but still like the feel of smashing down the gear stick when i wanna go fast...

If i knew how to do it without getting a face full of airbag, i would attempt it myself to see what needs to be done.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
I think the way to do it would be attach some paddles to the steering hib plastic surround. Obviously it would rotate but if you had big enough handles on the paddles it would still be good. If you went the option of mounting it to the wheel the easiest way would be to use a length of 4 wire twisty cord like on a telephone and wrap it around the column. Hey it is good enough for rally cars and other race cars, I think if you looked back you'd even find F1 was like this before. It is still something I am going to investigate doing. I will post some pics as I do things.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
The easiest way to find out what it looks like is google.

Basically it is a ribbon of 5 or 6 wires which is wound in a loose spiral inside a plastic housing.

the bottom of the housing stays still, while the top moves with the steering wheel. When you turn, the wound wire either tightens up, or loosens depending on the direction it is wound and the direction you turn.

Because there are quite a few turns of the wire, a couple of turns of the steering wheel only causes a small overall flex in the wire, as such it doesn't break. (usually)

I think the 2 wires used are for the airbag. Cant remember if the horn went through the clock spring or not.

If I remember, ill take a picture of the VR-4 one when I get home... don't hold your breath though :p

G

Unregistered
I think there designed more for racing so you don't have to take your hands off the wheel to change gears during a light corner.

it all boils down to personal preference really, the paddles moving with the wheel would be handy for situations with light steering wheel movements, but if you are moving it around a bit more, it can be confusing as to which paddle is up/down a gear... and i wouldn't want to be shifting down a gear as you are approaching red line on the gear you want to change up from...

Top Bottom