whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Morning all.

Have been thinking for a few weeks a design to try and help stabilize the turbulent air when we use a pod filter connected to the MAF.

After remembering an episode of Mythbusters where they used a half cut box of straws to help stabilize the air in a wind tunnel I was wondering if I could create the same thing for our MAF.

Attached is a crude design of my idea. I know our MAF has a honeycomb in front of the sensor anyway however this would attach inline before it so that we could use POD filters without detrimental effects.

The dia of the drilled holes for this example is 5mm with 5.5mm spacing. I have also drawn a ram air from 4" to 3" before the Honeycomb.

Attachments

• Honeycomb Manifold.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 44

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Depends why you installed the pod in the first place I suppose, if it was to reduce intake restriction, this would be a bit of a backwards step wouldn't it?

If it's for the sound or to relocate the intake, I suppose this would make that work better

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Essentially u are creating a non turbulent flow before the maf so I don't see why it wouldn't work. As like u said it's the turbulent flow that creates the problems for our cars.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
What you need to do is figure out the maximum channel size which can achieve laminar flow with minimal added skin friction.

Anyone got figures for airflow velocity figures in our cars? I suppose that would be what the MAF readings could tell us.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
As I said rick, all dimensions are just an idea at this stage. Can alter hole size and pitching quite easily.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Just get a k&n 57-1500-1, its the correct adaptor for our mafs for the oval pods...

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
My plan is batt to boot and move the maf forward and down with a pod filter and shroud behind the front left fog light.
I know it will involve custom intake pipes too.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Why take it that far down? 100% easier to have a cold air box behind the headlight with a cold air feed from the fog light area. Can run the maf off the back of the pod with the k&n filter on the side of the airbox, and custom maf to turbo pipes.

If you are really keen, do what im doing and relocate the fusebox... ;)

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
It really shouldn't be that low- the MAF and intake that is..
you'll likely have water ingress in heavy rain/pooling over the road?

run a CAI up from the foglight perhaps, but i certainly wouldn't be game enough to run the intake down that low.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
I've invested in several different setups to test but since I have a vented bonnet i have gone a different way initially and am currently trying an ARC airbox with the view that under bonnet temps shouldn't be as bad as they might otherwise be.

Failing that K&N oval pod in the shed or back to Ralliart panel and stock snorkel/airbox.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i had a 5.5" blitz pod on mine, no issues at all

Top Bottom