just a few questions - Pod filter location and BOV mounting

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
hey fellas just wanna do some simple mods many play around with the intake or air filter wat other things could i do to get the little gains out of the engine. just got some flexie pipe for the air intake running it down to the front bar with a pod on the end

also is in nessary to change the hard intercooler pipe where the bov mounts cause i going to change all the rubber hoses from the intercooler. 2.5 inch. oh where would the best place to mount my bov does it realy matter? i have turbo smart v port

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
just got some flexie pipe for the air intake running it down to the front bar with a pod on the end

Be careful with this Adam... In wet weather if the pod is too far forward and down it can swallow a whole bunch of water and make your car run roughly or, in extreme circumstances, kill your engine. Engines don't like water....

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I can see where you're going with the pod... keeping it low and out of the way in the engine bay will result in less hot air being drawn in under the hood.

When you mean flexible pipe, I hope you mean silicone?

Joe and I saw some of the stuff that looks like the bendable section in drinking straws a few weeks ago (matte-black plastic) with a pod on the end. It may case some issues with the MAF sensor with turbulent flow of air.

A worthwhile mod if you have a stock air box is to replace it with a high-flow panel filter. Two popular options are the RalliArt dry foam replacement, or the K&N filter, using a "wet" filter (very light oil in a foam medium) approach.

There is no need to change the hard intercooler pipe that comes with the car if you're just replacing the stock rubber OEM hoses though. Changing the plastic BOV to another aftermarket one isn't such a bad idea :)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Adam I'd like to ask a serious question here. What exactly are you looking to do with your car? From all your posts asking rather random questions about mod's and how to do them, it seems like your clutching at concepts that you've heard about yet dont really understand..

You really need a plan mate, a vision of sorts that will help lead you down a specific path with definite steps that will dictate what to mod, how to mod it and when.

Take your time too, you don't want to kill that nice car of yours do you?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Adam I'd like to ask a serious question here. What exactly are you looking to do with your car? From all your posts asking rather random questions about mod's and how to do them, it seems like your clutching at concepts that you've heard about yet dont really understand..

You really need a plan mate, a vision of sorts that will help lead you down a specific path with definite steps that will dictate what to mod, how to mod it and when.

Take your time too, you don't want to kill that nice car of yours do you?

i was thinking the same thing :p all i ever see is questions on all kinds of different mod ideas.

Best thing is as he said, make a plan. I have a big piece of paper i sketched my car onto, with lines pointing to different parts i plan on doing, and an approx price. Put it all into a list of priority as well, and now its just a saving game. I suggest you do something similar - ask all your questions to the shop you choose to carry out the work - generally you get what you pay for. If you want to do cheap home mods, generally there isnt as much you can do, and the result isnt going to be as big as if you got something professional. Obviously there are exceptions...

Top Bottom